3.1 stalls when hot

Walter F

Reaction score
My 1994 Cutlass wagon would start and run fine but stall after about 15 minutes. I'd have to let it cool for 5 minutes to get going again for a short distances before it stalled again.

It turns out that the problem was the connection to the second crankshaft position sensor (there are 2: 1 behind the harmonic balancer and a second in the rear of the block) had frayed on the exhaust manifold and would ground to short when hot. This caused the computer to sense a miscommunication between the cam position sensor and the subject crank sensor causing an ignition shut down. My check engine light (MIL) was disconnected by some previous owner so I don't know if this would result in a blink out code.

This was not an easy fault to diagnose so I hope this post can be of help to some other Olds owner.

woodyBR549

Reaction score
The harness is a two-wire, usually yellow and purple and runs from the drivers side of the ignition module down the back of the block to the second CPS. I have seen them from completely gone to burnt to crisp. Fairly common issue, so if you haven't checked yours yet, nows the time!