2001 Intrigue projects

Reaction score
Still working on my 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue at the moment and got the following done since September, 2018:

1. Spark plugs
  2. Thermostat replacement
  3. Power steering w/ reservoir replacement
  4. Oil change
  5. O2 sensor (post-Catalytic converter) replacement
  6. Coolant flush and crimp hose fix (no leaks or holes)
  7. Exhaust "fix"
  8. EVAP Purge Solenoid replacement
  9. Fuel cap replacement
  10. Battery replacement
  11. Coolant tank swap
  12. Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) sensor replacement (code P0446 suggested to replace it)
  13. Belt tensioner assembly and belt replacement (old pulley was damaged from the coolant leak, replaced the pulley with a new one and kept it in the garage as a spare in case the new one snaps and kept the old belt as that had no snags, stretch marks, cracks, or bigger grooves)
  14. Front struts and tire replacement; alignment (Belle Tire)
  15. Better exhaust repair (new exhaust flange gasket and clamps)
  16. Coolant sensor replacement (new one in the tank was defective, the old one still works, swapped o-ring gasket material as the old o-ring gasket had cracks)
  17. Complete rear brake job
  18. Cooling system massive air bubble removal (went to the 3/4 marker and it now sits a smidge above the 1/2 marker)

Stalling issue went away after the fuel cap and pressure sensor replacement (did a lot to rule out the stalling problem) and the exhaust was so loud, I couldn't hear anything from my radio and after reworking the exhaust with a gasket and new clamps, the car runs a heck of a lot quieter which is music to my ears. The coolant light would light up with the marker set to either full cold (engine cold) or full hot (engine warmed up), and fortunately, I kept the old sensor, swapped them around, and no more light turning on after driving long distances.

Future projects will be as follows:

1. ABS repairs (wheel hub assembly and ABS module issues) --> cleaning the ABS sensor harness didn't fix the issue got all of the necessary parts
  2. Fuel gauge repairs (new float sensor and fuel filter replacement after 30K miles) --> bought a new sensor, have the fuel filter ready
  3. Rear strut replacement (lower than the front end and double-bounces after pressing down on the trunk door and letting go)
  4. Front lower controller arm assembly replacement
  5. Front stabilizer/sway bar assembly replacement
  6. Upper radiator air bleeder screw

Current mileage: 123K+

Last edited:
Reaction score
Replaced the rear pads and rotors, as well as the caliper hardware (bleeder screws, guide pin boots, guide pin gaskets (on the guide pin bolts), and pad guides) along with brake grease, cleaned the guide pin bolts off with brake clean, added grease to them, thread locker on both the caliper mounting bolts and guide pin bolts to prevent them from sticking on, adjusted and cleaned the parking brake shoes with brake clean as the left one was causing the rotor to stick on there, and cleaned the wiring harness for the right front ABS sensor (lights are still on and code C0040 is still on, so a new hub assembly is needed along with the caliper as the bolts are stuck on there).

Reaction score
Did some preventative maintenance back in June 2020 (replaced the bleeder valve on top of the radiator and replaced the thermostat housing assembly as the old one had a worn gasket and the thermostat wasn't working right for a while) and hit a big and leaking snag: 1 brake line ruptured underneath and the other wasn't too far behind.

Currently doing the brake line replacement and it's getting closer here, just need to install the other line, unions, and reinstall the rear brake caliper and rotor (also fixing the parking brake that has adjuster issues for the shoe and need to get the correct wheel hub stud as the one I bought at Autozone is not the right length, but same thread size) or take the one stud out from the broken wheel hub, then fix the ABS issues, and finally fix the broken fuel gauge.

seen_bawl

Reaction score
About the wheel hub I got them from ebay both for 60$, brand new, broken fuel gauge I got the part from pick and pull, I had this car from 4 years now, I'll be honest this is the last time I'm going to smog it, to many issue I'm always under the car fix or repair or change something 'll

Reaction score
Got the brakes done and installed the new wheel hub, but the ABS is still not working (possible the wire is dead or corroded), but the brakes are working, which is the most important part of the car. Driver's side window won't open (motor for that window needs to get repaired) anymore, the stud for the driver's rear hub got replaced by the one from the busted hub that broke into different pieces, and the parking brake works.

Reaction score
Found the issue with the ABS. It was the wiring harness that had 1 wire that oxidized and the other one was fine. So I ordered 2 new harnesses on Amazon, cut the wire to the length it was needed and to make sure the wires were good, removed the insulation around the wires with my wire strippers/cutters/crimping tool, added the butt connectors (female to female with heat shrink tubing around it), crimped the ends with the tool and wire cutters, used the lighter to shrink the heat shrink tubings, plus the tubing to cover the rest of the wiring to prevent the wires from melting and getting chaffed, plugged in the harness to the hub, and it works.

And the driver's side window now works. Other issues I need to fix:

1) Fuel gauge (float sensor bad) --> already have the parts
2) Headliner and carpet repairs--> got glue to fix the liner and will patch the carpet sometime
3) A/C needs a recharge --> has issues with hot weather past 75 degrees
4) Bearing replacements for the A/C clutch and Alternator/Generator --> important for me since coolant got all over those bearings when I was replacing the thermostat housing assembly

Last edited:
Reaction score
Replaced the fuel float sensor and fixed a coolant leak. The lower radiator hose wasn't seated properly, so I got that fixed at the shop I volunteer at. Bearings for the belt drive are still in need of replacing and the A/C recharge as well. The interior could use the headliner patching for now and find carpet from a junked car, cut a section out, and patch that only spot so that I can save money on replacing the whole thing.