2000 alero no start

wags70ss

Reaction score
I have a 2000 alero with 170,000 miles on it. It has the 3400 engine.

When I turn the key to start it, nothing happens. By that I mean no starter engagement no nothing. I thought the starter was bad so I put a new one on & that didnt help. I had a friend turn the key while I held a test light on the solenoid engagement wire & it is not getting power when the key is turned to the start position. The battery is new.

When I turn the key on, all the lights on the dash light up, & after a few seconds they all go out as they should. This includes the security light.

I have checked all the fuzes, they are good, connections at the starter & battery are good. Tried the 10 minute relearn proceedure - no luck.

It seems like whatever powers up the solenoid wire is not energizing it for some reason. I can turn the key to the run position & jump the starter terminals & it will start, just not with the key.

By the way, I have 35 years expirence as a mechanic so I know what to look for in the typical situation. There is no starter relay on this car so its not that.

Anyone got any ideas as to the cause? Thanks!

ThePabst

Reaction score
Keep it simple: Fusable link? This platform has em'...

Ignition swithes on these cars suck.

I have the complete wiring diagrams I can send you if this gets deep.

Last edited:

wags70ss

Reaction score
Well Im hoping someone here has seen this problem before & knows what the solution is.

Can you tell me how the solenoid wire on the starter gets power when the key is turned to the run position? If there is no starter relay, there must be some other way to switch the voltage on to the solenoid.

RalphP2

Reaction score
Well Im hoping someone here has seen this problem before & knows what the solution is.

Can you tell me how the solenoid wire on the starter gets power when the key is turned to the run position? If there is no starter relay, there must be some other way to switch the voltage on to the solenoid.
The wire from the ignition switch goes to the Neutral Safety Switch, and from there to the starter solenoid.

Main 12V goes from the battery to the starter. Another cable goes up to the alternator. If the system is charging, it's safe that THAT run is OK.

Here is the schematic:

I'd be checking the neutral safety switch (can fail) and the ignition switch (common failure).

RwP

Last edited:

ThePabst

Reaction score
Its located under the gear select lever on the trans. Pull the air box you'll see it. Flat black switch. It also handles reverse lights, tells the PCM your in gear and controls the gear selector lights in the dash.

I believe there is a little adjustment available.

Remove the nut holding the lever on, then the small bolts holding the switch, it lifts off.

(Excuse the wiring in my Quad, this car is a 'compilation' of three different Aleros)

Attachments

Last edited:

wags70ss

Reaction score
Well the neutral safety switch did not fix it. It will still start if I turn the key on & jump across the starter terminals though. Any ideas what to do next? Ignition switch?

Has anyone ever wired a start button to the starter to bypass the key switch? That is alot cheaper than a new ignition switch.

wags70ss

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it could be the body control modual? I noticed my security light goes out after a few seconds, so I was told the ignition switch is not the problem.

If the BCM controls power to the starter, can anyone give me a diagram of the wire that goes from the BCM to the starter solenoid? Maybe if I can check that wire I will find it is broken, I dont know.

ThePabst

Reaction score
I don't believe the BCM controls any 'start' function. But it DOES control the security system; it lets the car start but kills the ignition after 10 seconds... The car cranks when you turn the key, correct?

Is this a 4 or a 6?

Last edited:

ThePabst

Reaction score
Just thought of something.

Hey Wags: This thing doesn't have an aftermarket alarm or anti-theft system on it does it? Did it at one time?? Pull the driver side knee and kick panels and check for odd wires or stuff out of place.

I had a Vette once that gave me fitts until I found HALF of a 15 year old abandoned alarm system on it.

Send me a private message and I'll send you the GM diagnostic data for your year and model.

Last edited:

wags70ss

Reaction score
Just so you all know I found the problem. This car had one of those cheesy kill devices rigged under the dash so the dealer could kill it with a cell phone if the payments wern't made. Well the moron that put it in sucks at being a mechanic & the wires shorted out & burned up the wire that engages the starter from the ignition switch. It was almost impossible to get in the dash to fix all the fried wires. The car needed a new evaporator anyhow so I had the priviledge of ripping out the entire dash to replace that & the heater core, so I went ahead & tore it all the way down & fixed the wires too.

If you have never done an evaporator on these cars I would NOT recommend it for the faint of heart or someone with limited mechanical skills. IT SUCKS!

Thanks for all your help.

ThePabst

Reaction score
Yeah, you never know who has been futzin' around with a used car... Glad it's fixed. The HVAC on most cars in a nightmare, you can't blame just this chassis for that.

Did a heater core in a Saab once, had to yank the entire dash.

MitchBryant@211

Reaction score
Keep it simple: Fusable link? This platform has em'...

Ignition swithes on these cars suck.

I have the complete wiring diagrams I can send you if this gets deep.
May I get a writing diagram also please pm me. Sorry I'm jumping into business like this sir