1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo cluster failure

rogue59

Reaction score
was searching for a fix for the above problem. when it was still in the vehicle I experienced intermittent failure of all guard in the cluster to the point it didn't seem to work at all. I consulted the older site and thought there was a fix for the dash, or cause for this intermittent failure (and related fix), but can't seem to find anything.

my understanding was it was a dried out capacitor or leaky capacitor that had leaked??

anybody out there have any help that can help me to get this cluster working again?

thx.

Hoog

Reaction score
I have done a couple Instrument cluster repairs on my Toros. I will see if I can dig up the specs on the caps and instrucions that were sent to me. Do you still need the info?

Mcchevy427

Reaction score
was searching for a fix for the above problem. when it was still in the vehicle I experienced intermittent failure of all guard in the cluster to the point it didn't seem to work at all. I consulted the older site and thought there was a fix for the dash, or cause for this intermittent failure (and related fix), but can't seem to find anything.

my understanding was it was a dried out capacitor or leaky capacitor that had leaked??

anybody out there have any help that can help me to get this cluster working again?

thx.
Same problem only tach working.

retroren

Reaction score
yes, it is most likely a capacitor issue. search my posting as I have posted many photos and provide a link to an old detailed writeup of what to do to fix this problem. I gave the instructions and my cluster gauge to a radio repair shop and they fixed it in no time by replacing the $2 capacitor

JMorlan

Reaction score
Check out this old thread for your solution.

It’s an easy fix as its just a capacitor issue. The guy here in Columbus that repairs the VIC's, might be willing to take a look at it. He’s done me well in the past.
But I don’t know if he’s ever worked on one of these analog clusters. He did recap a digital cluster for me. But if he saw this data and details on the fix, he could probably do it easily.