1988 Toronado BCM Swap

Majoraslayer

Reaction score
I'm working on a 1988 Toronado Trofeo. The electronics randomly reset, sometimes the gauge cluster won't come on, the headlights randomly pop up and down, and the door chime sometimes randomly sounds without the key in. The digital cluster reads error on the odometer, which I read somewhere is a dead giveaway of a faulty BCM. I have the BCM pulled out, and I found another one on eBay with the same part number that doesn't specify what it was pulled from. Could I use the eBay BCM by simply swapping them out, or are there more steps? I noticed there are two chips in the BCM that seem to plug in, would I be able to just swap them into the replacement?

retroren

Reaction score
I had an '88 Toro and eldo with similar issues and it proved to be the central power supply module (ebay).

I believe the bcm should be plug-n-play if spec'd for your car.

A service manual (ebay) is highly advisable.

let us know your results. We do appreciate feedback when we take time to offer help.

retroren

Reaction score
just right of the gas pedal. you have to remove the underdash cover. its an aluminum cased module about the size of a slice of bread mounted vertically against the firewall. reminder, order the service manual on ebay.

retroren

Reaction score
great job. I don't visit this forum as often as I used to. It's just not very active. I own an '86 and '92 toro. the '92 is my daily drive. I have been trying to figure out why the climate control on the '86 will function properly when the key is turned to the position just before the starter is engaged. As soon as the car is started, there is no climate control function. I live outside Detroit so it gets cold in the winter. Whereabouts are you from? Also can you post pics of your car. I had a white '88. I loved that car. Should have never sold it. I'm trying to get the trofeo exhaust rumble onto my '86 so I can have sort-of-a-trofeo. i'll post some pic for you.

Majoraslayer

Reaction score
I'd post a pic, but technically it belongs to a friend I was helping. It is a white Trofeo as well however. I'm located in Tennessee.

When I worked on the climate controls on this car there was a delay in the time they could be used after startup. After resoldering the control panel, it wouldn't respond after startup until a couple minutes after the gauge cluster finished all of it's warnings (including a low refrigerant error). After that everything would function, except the blower wouldn't turn on. To get him set up for the winter I ended up setting up an override switch that connected the blower straight to the battery (through an ignition powered relay to make sure it shut off with the key so he couldn't forget and kill the battery). By default with this setup the blower will blow hot air full blast through the defrost vent unless the climate controls start working and let you change vent selection/temperature.