1979 Tempmatic climate control problems and knowledge needed

1979delta88royal

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having an issue with my climate control, but I need to know a bit on how it works. I'm wondering if there is a Tempmatic guru out there. If you want to read what my problem is, instead of what theory I want to know, skip to the end.

What I'd like to know is how the automatic temperature control in a 1979 tempatic system works (I'm sure other years share similar properties). I've got the model with A/C and temperature based heat control, aka reads 65, 70, 75, 80, 85 Fahrenheit on the lower slider.

While snooping through my users manual, it told me that the climate control adjusts itself to match the desired temperature on the slider. How does it do this?
To try and get to the bottom of this, I've formulated questions:

When adjusting the temperature slider, is it adjusting an electric switch, or a mechanical part that controls heat levels?

When I set a temperature, how does the car adjust the system to match that temperature? I imagine there is a temperature sensing device, which then controls how much hot air gets in.

How is the level of hot air entering the system controlled? Is this a mechanical lever used by an individual, or and electronic response by the system to try and match a temperature?

What I do know is that when i replaced my heater core, there is a flap which looks like it could move. I should have experimented at the time, but it was cold and getting dark haha, just wanted to finish. I do know that all of my air redirection abilities are fully functional, aka, i can switch between vent and heater and defrost without a problem. I've also been reading around the forum, and noticed some mention of vacuum being involved with air redirection (maybe more than just that in terms of climate control?). Where does this vacuum originate from?

For clarification on problems 1-2 on what im trying to talk about, I included a color coded picture :D It was taken from my floor, facing up.

Now for my problems:
1. Temperature. Warm air comes out all the time, even in A/C. My A/C is probably done, but regardless, the air that comes out, even on the lowest temperature on economy is still hotter than 65 fah. There is actually little difference between 65 and 85. You can tell, but its not a whole 20 fah difference.

2. Strange noise from climate related device. This only started recently, but a strange vibration like noise started. I'm sure I found the culprit, behind my glove box, "lowest device"(blue) looking thing to the floor. I was watching it as it made noise, and it was moving an "arm of some sort"(red) that extends all the way up to something related to temperature control. As soon as it stopped moving, the noise stopped. Source found. I then noticed that whenever i move the temperature arm, it moved a "wire way up" (orange) when looking from the floor, this wire pushes the "arm of some sort"(red) around. Its almost like this "arm of some sort" can be moved around from both ends, which leads me to believe that it is directly related to problem 1. Furthermore, I realized that halfway down this "arm of some sort" is connected to "another arm"(yellow) that connects to "another device" (white). This "other arm"(yellow) when moved turns a "rotating arm"(green) which must turn something inside this other device. From there I am stumped. These things must control temp, but how?

3. Air flow related to driving speed. The faster I go, the faster air comes out of my vents. Was this a design flaw? I know there is only 2 ways for air to move in and out of the climate control hub inside the engine. The top air intake, and the bottom water and debris dumper. So do I have a leak in the casing? (which i doubt since its freshly siliconed) or is faster air simply forcing its way in from one of the 2 openings?

What I did figure out is that I pulled on a vacuum tube coming to the "lowest device" and it moved a whole bunch. I checked the vacuum, its there, but i dont know how strong it should be. Plugged it back in, and the "lowest device returned to its original position.

This is what i know about the problems, and I would greatly appreciate any input anyone has. thank you so much

Attachments

• the inside.JPG
    the inside.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 14
  • P9300001.JPG
    P9300001.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 14

84delta88

Reaction score
having the same issue

I dont know if you ever found the solution to this problem but if you did i am having the same problem and would love some help.

John R.

Reaction score
Skipping forward to Oct. 2021, I have the same problem with my newly acquired '84 model 98 regency brougham. Searching the forums, I've not found how to remove/replace/repair the controller. I've found the vacuum controlled door flap by removing the glove box. When the car is shut off, the door closes. When started up, it opens to let in hot air. The vacuum is strong. the flap isn't controlled by a wire, but by a threaded rod that snaps into a plastic "cradle". (Next time in there, I'll get pictures.) Somewhere there is a device that controls the vacuum motor that runs the flapper door. I've been searching for a factory manual that will show how to repair this problem, but haven't had any luck. Any advice from the Olds experts would be greatly appreciated. John R.

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
There might be something in this U tube video that might help .
if link does not work then its G-Body AC Box disassemble!!! 1987 olds 442 video 35 . you did not say but i guess we have to assume you have AC , same as original post.

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
In the Oldsmobile Chassis service manual there are many pages about Tempmatic. what you want to know is most likely in this manual . so Buy a Chassis service manual to match the same year as your car . I found mine on e bay .

Attachments

• 1982 olds Chassis service manual.jpg
    1982 olds Chassis service manual.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Temp control.JPG
    Temp control.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 0