1968 oldsmobile toronado rwd conversion?

miko

Reaction score
hey i'm just wondering if there are any kits out there that could help convert a 68 olds toro from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive? please let me know what you think
jay leno has alot of money,and that car is basically a twin turbo charged corvette witha a toro body

crate78

Reaction score
Anythings possible. Why not go whole hog and put the Toronado body on a '73 to '80 Chevy pickup chassis with full time 4 wheel drive. This is on the assumption you have UNLIMITED funds to throw at the project.

If you're looking to buy a kit for a few hundred dollars that makes a simple job of it, forget it.

Realistically, all you'd do either way is butcher up and destroy a nice old car.

Last edited:

crate78

Reaction score
Why not go whole hog and transplant the Toronado body onto a '73 to '80 Chevy pickup chassis with full time 4 wheel drive. This is assuming you have UNLIMITED funds to throw at the project.

If you're looking to spend a few hundred dollars on a kit that will make a simple job of it, forget it.

Either way, you'd be butchering up and destroying a nice old car.

Royale

Reaction score
At least you understand that J Leno has alot of expendable income.

No, the Toro does not even have a driveshaft tunnel. Nothing wrong with them as they are, alot of engineering went into that FWD design. Two factory equiped Toros destroyed the competition on the Pikes Peak hillclimb in I believe 68 and the cars were 67's... or it was 67 and the cars were 66's. Either way, try to enjoy having such a fine piece of American automotive history without destroying it.

Drgn66Toro

Reaction score
At least you understand that J Leno has alot of expendable income.

No, the Toro does not even have a driveshaft tunnel. Nothing wrong with them as they are, alot of engineering went into that FWD design. Two factory equiped Toros destroyed the competition on the Pikes Peak hillclimb in I believe 68 and the cars were 67's... or it was 67 and the cars were 66's. Either way, try to enjoy having such a fine piece of American automotive history without destroying it.
Robby Unser drove a '66 in the Pike's Peak Challenge,& did it again with the following years, but I believe it was only the '66 and 67's that Dominated the Races... After that the competitors took it back... I know GM had Robby do a Commercial for the '66 showing him running up and down the peak, followed by him giving his impressions of his Experience drive the cars(Do a You-Tube Search for Robby Unser Toronado Pikes Peak Vid)...

and003

Reaction score
Art Morrison Chassis?

I'm just wondering if there are any kits out there that could help convert a 68 olds toro from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive? Please let me know what you think. Jay Leno has a lot of money, and that car is basically a twin turbo charged corvette with a Toro body
Miko, there are no kits to accomplish an RWD Toronado conversion as far as I know, but there is a possible way to make the Toronado an RWD vehicle without cutting up a Corvette. It's only for people with disposable income, however.

There is a company called Art Morrison Engineering that has a chassis called the Max-G chassis that can be designed to fit various muscle cars. Various hot rodders have used it on their projects. One advantage is that it can be designed on a computer before construction even begins. Some body modifications may be necessary, but with some planning, money and specialized parts, one can make a 1968 Toronado RWD and still make it look stock on the outside, like Jay Leno did with HIS Toronado. You can learn more by visiting the company's web site, which is located here:

Art Morrison Engineering
http://www.artmorrison.com/

I apologize if this message seems like spam to anyone, but when I came across this question, I wanted to put in my 2 cents in.

Arthur

Ol Toro

Reaction score
FWD handles better for corners, since its a large heavy car handling is important.
If you had rear wheel drive it would basically be a downgrade (my 2 cents).

and003

Reaction score
Since it's a large heavy car handling is important.
True enough, and that's the beauty of the Max-G chassis. Muscle cars built with this chassis can handle like sports cars. Perhaps if Jay Leno knew about this, he could have used a Max-G chassis instead of cutting up 2 Corvettes to make a single chassis, even though those Vettes were due to be crushed.

On the other hand, if FWD works for Toronado owners, that's fine. Not everybody will be interested in a RWD conversion like Leno was. :)

Royale

Reaction score
turning the state of the art classic Toronado into a RWD is appauling to me. So much engineering went into the Toro and this would be de-engineering. Im not going to say FWD is better or handles better because that is not true. The point is the FWD Toro handled pretty darn good in its day. For the expence of reverse engineering a classic Toro into RWD one could keep their Toro classic and buy a C4 Vette and have a real sports car as well. Its simple common sense.

G

G-514996

So many unhelpful assholes. RWD frame swap allows for better suspension parts, better trans and air ride.