02 ALERO GLS = CRAP

jamprio

Reaction score
02 ALERO GLS Coupe
I can't believe there are so many people praising the Alero in here. I bought one of these hunks o' junk 2 years ago and cant wait for the friggen lease to be done. This car has been in the shop for the most stupidest things....lets see.
- Brakes and rotors x2 and ready for one more vist
- engine Problem light x1
- Low tire pressure, maybe has shut off once since i owned it
- Window squeals when you put it down and leaves scratches all on the outside.

I WILL NEVER RECCOMMEND THIS CAR. I used to be a proud owner and advocate of GM products, but I think this experience has changed my mind.

DON'T BUY OLDSMOBILE thats for sure!

magilson

Reaction score
Wow, so one bad car and your the ralph nader of oldsmobiles. Turns out all car companies have a bad car once in a while. I'm not sure but I think it happens often enough that people refer to them as lemons? Wait, yeah, that's the term allright. In any case I'm sorry you got a bad car, be thankful you leased it but I tell you with two under my belt, Oldsmobiles are some of the best domestics built and you'd be hard pressed to prove me wrong with one bad one.

w3rk5

Reaction score
It's unfortunate that you got a "lemon". :( I agree with magilson that, "all car companies have a bad car once in a while". Again, "be thankful you leased it". I'm sure there are more happy Oldsmobile or GM owners than unhappy ones.

I can understand you're not happy with your car. I'd be upset too. No matter what people tell you, it won't bring back the time, fustration, and money you have put into the car. It's really too bad you feel so strongly about your "lemon" that you're willing to judge all Oldsmobles and GM. I hope your next car will be trouble free.

jamprio

Reaction score
In response... Let the other substantial amounts of unhappy Alero drivers speak about thier "poor" experiences (see the URL's below) with this hunk o' junk and Oldsmobile.

There are not only these horror stories, but many more including the ones from the countless other people I have spoken to about this car.

Oldsmobile should be reprimanded for a job poorly done on this car. They should own up to the poor craftmanship put into this model. Lemons should be addressed and the owners should be compensated. I am truly thankful that I leased this car. I can only hope that I do not end up with more or the same problems that some of the other peple have that I have. I am also sure that the countless people who have endured these problems have learned there lesson. I know I have. Shame on Oldsmobile.

Just a few other unhappy Alero owners...
http://www.accesswave.ca/~alero02/
http://www.dillows.com/2002_oldsmobile_alero_lemon.htm
http://www.carsurvey.org/review_38207.html
http://www.alero.info/2002_alero.htm
http://gmc4oldsmobile4alero4lemons.bravehost.com/
http://www.geocities.com/red_alero/
http://www.alero.info/2000_alero.htm
Quoted from
http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=130&scid=60
"The Alero debuted as a 1999 model. CAS has received thousands of complaints on N-car defects such as power steering loss, stalling, sudden acceleration, paint peel, engine fire and failure, and automatic transmission failures. "

magilson

Reaction score
It sounds to me like a lot of the problems are brakes, steering, and cosmetic. The cosmetic I totally agree with you in that I would be extrememly mad if my dash began to warp so quickly. It could be explained by GM trying to cheapen the production cost of a company about to be folded. I'm not sure wether or not an Olds production engineer decided that or not but I can see your point there.

As for the brakes, I'd have to say I'd have to be one complacent mofo to sit around and watch my brakes be eaten. In otherwords stop using what the dealer gives you. Try aftermarket non-oem bads and rotors and watch as the problem goes away. I never use OEM brake pads or rotors because they are designed with profit in mind no mater who makes your car. I can't imagine what would eat pads other than your braking style or a problem with your rear disk or drum setup which puts an unusual amount of stress on the front brakes. It is possible that you are getting bad alignments which would cause your pads to wear unevenly and when the pad adjusts to the new thickness it is eating the high spots, that might cause unusually quick wear.

The steering problem is another thing and turns out to be a free (free) thats right a free recall. So get it fixed and not by your dealer or usual mechanic. Go to another dealer elsewhere.

All I know is I've never heard of these problems untill now and since there are no major model changes between the previous Alero and your I'd have to say its just craftsmanship and not the cars mechanical behavior. So get your computer flashed with the newest update to fix the cruise and so on and see if it will go away. In any case take the time to learn what is going wrong instead of just getting mad about it. Maybe then an answer will be more clear than just dollar signs.

w3rk5

Reaction score
Hi jamprio. This may be out of topic but what do you plan to get after your lease run out?

jamprio

Reaction score
Honestly I don't know at this point in time. The "ONLY" reason why I would buy GM again is because i get a discount and have points from my Visa card.

I am currently looking at an Epica or Monte Carlo-But I am not totally sold on them.

w3rk5

Reaction score
Epica or Monte Carlo! :eek: Those two cars you've mentioned are very different from each other. I dunno anything about the Epica, but I have to admit the Monte Carlo is nice. It's nothing like the Monte Carlos of the "good old days" but it's nice. :)

Again, if you do decide to go GM I hope this time around it'll treat you better. But if you feel as strongly as you sound on the above posts, maybe GM's not the way to go regardless of the discounts or points (I can't believe I just said that. I'm a GM man. :blink:). I'd rather buy something I believe to be a good and solid product. It's a little peace of mind if you're gonna spend a chunk of money on something. All the best to you. :)

magilson

Reaction score
Well if you do go with the Monte Carlo the 3800 is a great engine. My family has had four cars with it all still running, my uncle has bought olds eighty eights as his last four cars driving all of them to between 200k-225k. Since you are wary of repairs realize some of the most common repairs. Alternator........

Yeah so I love that power train. Just make sure to get one with the new 4t65e trans! I've had the old and new and let me say I love the new. Gotta go, Spike TV power block is fixing up an Olds Cutty!

jamprio

Reaction score
Does anyone know anyhting about rotors and machining them?

Again the alero went in for service. Something about the last time i had my brakes fixed (which time i wonder?) they machined them. To have them fixed $350. But on a positive note - not neccessary to fix because they are not that big of a problem.

Jrs3800

Reaction score
Originally posted by magilson@Sep 26 2004, 01:02 PM
Well if you do go with the Monte Carlo the 3800 is a great engine. My family has had four cars with it all still running, my uncle has bought olds eighty eights as his last four cars driving all of them to between 200k-225k. Since you are wary of repairs realize some of the most common repairs. Alternator........

Yeah so I love that power train. Just make sure to get one with the new 4t65e trans! I've had the old and new and let me say I love the new. Gotta go, Spike TV power block is fixing up an Olds Cutty!
[snapback]3595[/snapback]​

First I will say I agree on the 3800's, thay are great engines...

On the 4T65-E's, well thats another story.... We have seen many of the 4T65-E's tear up the 4th gear splines, and have a failure of 4th gear, some failures are bad enough to take the torque converter with it due to the metal shavings/chunks due to the shearing of the 4th gear splines... Its bad when we see the older 4T60-e's outlasting even the newer 4T65-E's, and the 4T60-E's already have many years on them.. I'm not saying that all 4T65-E's are bad, but if you intend to keep a car with te 65-E, you'd better expect a rebuild...

Jrs3800

Reaction score
Originally posted by jamprio@Oct 7 2004, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know anyhting about rotors and machining them?

Again the alero went in for service. Something about the last time i had my brakes fixed (which time i wonder?) they machined them. To have them fixed $350. But on a positive note - not neccessary to fix because they are not that big of a problem.
[snapback]3681[/snapback]​

Rotors can be turned down to a certain thickness called the discard thickness... However I don't reccomend that, If at all possible I reccomnd replacing the rotors... And $350 to do the front brakes seems a bit on the steep side...

On another note, I have driven a few Aleros.... I didn't like the 4T45-E tranny, the brakes, the ride... I just didn't like the car at all.. I do like most Oldsmobiles, but not that one...

I actually liked my buddies Chevy Malibu( another N body ) better...

Sorry to hear about your miss foutune with GM... My father had 2 lemmons from GM, He was die hard GM even when he had his first lemon, he still bought another... It too was a lemon, it was in the shop something like 16 or 17 times in 1 year... Later he traded for a ford truck( never had a single issues ) and then He went to Honda.. Mitsubishi... These cars have never failed.. He died some time back, and I still have the Mitsubishi, It never fails to start, and everything still works, I mean everything and its a 92...

Best wishes to you when you manage to get out of the lease.. :)