01 Intrigue 3.5L Oil Capacity

Ace007Intrigue

Reaction score
New to the forum; I have a 2001 Olds Intrigue with the 3.5L V6 and my owner's manual says that the engine oil capacity is 6.5 quarts but when I change the oil and add 6.5 qts, the reading on the dipstick is way over full! If I drain 1.5 quarts (leaving 5 qts) then it reads perfect on the dipstick...anybody know what the real capacity should be and why the dipstick reading doesn't match the owner's manual??? Thanks a million.

sparcx

Reaction score
in my 2000 intrigue with the 3.5l... the good lube places fill up to about 5.75 quarts and i end up with a partial quart to go home... If they fill the full six quarts it ends up above the dipstick full line. Most of the quick lubes are lazy and will dump six quarts and overfill rather than check the dipstick.

The general rule of thumb for the 3.5l intrigues is add 5.5 quarts and then check the dipstick to see where you're at.

another recent thread about it... take a look at post 8 where another 2001 owner chimes in.
http://www.oldsmobileforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12069

sparcx

Reaction score
One other thing i noticed is that they changed the manual between the 2000 and 2001 intrigues which had the 3.5L.

the 2000 manual lists 6.0 quarts
the 2001 manual lists 6.5 quarts

no idea why there's a change there, but i'd still suggest starting at 5.5 quarts and working your way up to the right level on the dipstick rather than get into an issue of overfilling.

Ace007Intrigue

Reaction score
Sparcx,
Thanks for the reply and link to the other thread. I guess I'm not crazy. Firestone just put 6.5 quarts in but when I do my own oil changes I stop at 5 quarts and add a little at a time until full on the dipstick. My dad has 5 cars of all different makes and in ALL of the owners manuals the oil capacity listed is for the oil and filter change. That's why I was so confused about the difference with this car. Sounds like everyone else is not too sure either. I wonder if GM realizes the problem with their printed manual verses the dipstick. I wonder if maybe the dipstick is just a carryover from a previous year and if we run only 5.5 quarts are we using "not enough" oil? For now I'll keep it on the dipstick just to be safe against the potential over fill problems. Thanks again for the quick reply. Adam

sparcx

Reaction score
My only wild guess on why they went to 6.5 quarts in later years is that perhaps they're just having customers add in more oil to compensate for the burning oil. If you have a lazy customer that never checks the dipstick, you could easily go a quart low by the time the next oil change happens.

C&C

Reaction score
The oil filter cartriage cannister probably holds about a 1/2 quart of oil; when filling (my 2000 takes six quarts) I make sure to add the six quarts, start the car to fill the cannister and then check the dipstick. My readings are right at the top (at full).

Confederate_Rebel

Reaction score
I am an ex-Oldsmobile Master Technician Elite, with twenty years of experience working on Oldsmobiles of all models and years. I also own a 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL. I can unequivocally state that the "recommended" crankcase capacity on a 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue with a 3.5 liter V-6 engine is 6.5 quarts. Be aware, though, that even though the Chassis Service Manual states "recommended capacity of 6.5 quarts," it is, at best, an educated guess. From experience, I know that when doing an oil and filter change, it is best to add five (5) fresh quarts of engine oil, and check the dipstick. Don't forget to wipe the dipstick clean and re-stick; this is because invariably there will "old" oil on the dipstick. After re-sticking, you'll find that the crankcase is down about one full quart. Slowly add the sixth (6th) quart, wipe the dipstick, and re-check the crankcase level. You'll find that with six (6) fresh quarts of engine oil in the crankcase, the reading on the dipstick will be very close to the "FULL" mark. From that point, continue to add small amounts of oil--a few ounces at a time--to bring the crankcase level to the exact "FULL" mark on the dipstick. Good luck.