oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Notices

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: ABS Unit Questions

Old May 25th, 2016

Wolfie_85 is on a distinguished road
ABS Unit Questions

I had my ABS pump fail on my 1988 Toronado Trofeo. I DID find a used one online from a salvage yard at a good price.

Here is my issue now: I have a hydraulic line (rubber) from the booster to the pump itself. The new one (it came without the booster), has a steel line. Can it be made to work, anyway? Or am I back at square one?

Additionally, if anyone has any tips on making this job easier, please share.

Old May 29th, 2016

alvissaladin is on a distinguished road
Some threads before I told the story from my ABS pump problems. You´d read it?
Why you dont change the e-motor only? It is monted with two screws and an o-ring at the body only. So you´ll have no problems with any rubber or steel tubes.
I´m able to change the motor in 5 Minutes. Little tricky but it works. You need a half pint DOT3 after that.

Roland

Last edited by alvissaladin; May 29th, 2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old July 7th, 2016

Wolfie_85 is on a distinguished road
Alright, so after some digging and a trip to the salvage yard, I found an accumulator from a '90 Bonneville that seems to be the same, and has the steel line between it and the master cylinder. Now, before I dig into this, my only question is are there any compatibility issues with the units that use the steel line versus the high pressure hose? Do the brake lines hook up the same? Does it bolt in the same? I can't spot any issues myself, but if anyone knows of any potential hiccups I may encounter, please share.

I'd love to have this project be a success. Then I can move on to restoring the rest of the car.

And the replacement of only the e motor os possible, since this piece has it, but...just in case it needs it all...