oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Most Recent Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Intrigue

Notices

Oldsmobile Intrigue Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Intrigue based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue RPM goes to 500, stalls close to work

Old September 25th, 2018

01OldsIntrigueOwner is on a distinguished road
Status update: cooling system is fixed. I accidentally crimped a hose when my friend and I were replacing the spark plugs and got it flushed as well. My alternator is now starting to go (stalled on me again) or it could be the battery. I'll get this checked over the weekend. Close, but, no cigar.

Edit: car's overheating again.

Edit 2: cap was loose, which shot up, causing the car to boil over and overheat. Cap is still there.

Last edited by 01OldsIntrigueOwner; September 26th, 2018 at 05:08 PM.

Old September 27th, 2018

Alternator passed the test, as well as the battery.

There are two codes that popped up today (Sept. 30th):

P0446 - EVAP Canister Purge Valve Blocked
P1258 - Engine Coolant Overtemperature - Protection Mode Active (replaced the thermostat, flushed the cooling system, and fixed the crimped hose to allow flow to go through) <-- the engine temperature is nominal now (close to the half-way marker), no coolant boiling, and the heater works great.

Last edited by 01OldsIntrigueOwner; September 30th, 2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2018

Purchased a new EVAP Canister Purge Valve for my car from RockAuto.com since prices are scarce at auto part stores, and it's being sent right now. Once I get the part, I'm going to replace it, go to the mechanic on Friday night to get further diagnostics and code clearing, and see what happens. Doesn't stall on short 1-2 mile trips, but, longer trips are causing it.

I'll report back with the results.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Update on the car:

Replaced the EVAP Canister Purge Valve yesterday, drove the car around and to Belle Tire to get my power steering fixed again, and it didn't stall. However, I'm losing coolant and I don't see any leaks at all (probably because the system wasn't burped/bled out when the cooling system got flushed out, or the cap needs to get replaced) and the compression is still good and the car still runs. Getting closer and closer to getting the car working once again, and the engine light didn't go away after disconnecting the battery (Overtemperature Protection Mode Active code).

Got 4 engine light codes:

1) EVAP Purge Valve (getting cleared)
2) Overtemperature (getting cleared)
3) Fuel sensor high (going to get replaced sometime)
4) Transmission temperature exceeded (tied to the overtemperature)

And the power steering leak could be either the reservoir (discontinued) or the pump.

Got the engine codes cleared, and the reservoir is shot for the power steering (discontinued and the only spot that has that is the junkyard).

Last edited by 01OldsIntrigueOwner; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:27 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Update on the car:

After much cursing and getting a cold, I replaced the power steering pump/reservoir combo on my car, accidentally put the pulley in backwards, and after getting the 3-jaw puller to borrow from Autozone, I got the pulley off, placed it in the right direction this time, compressed the pulley to meet the pump bearing, and all is well. Steering is a lot better, returned the core (old pump/reservoir combo, kept the cap) and the two loaner tools and got my money back. I'm planning on driving the car over the weekend on long trips to make sure it doesn't stall any longer.
Old 1 Week Ago

Code P0446 came back again when driving it around on Saturday. Time to replace the fuel filter or take it to the shop to get it looked at on Friday or Saturday next week.

The fuel gauge is also erratic (says full, drops to empty, then back to full on a full tank of gas), the gas cap's gasket has cracks on it (will replace with a new cap), and the filter was replaced 6 years ago.