oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Most Recent Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Alero

Notices

Oldsmobile Alero Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Alero based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Passlock Security System Help!

Old 2 Weeks Ago

AngryAleroOwner is on a distinguished road
Angry Passlock Security System Help!

Hello all! I drive a 2004 Alero, I know the Passlock security system on these cars are a nightmare, and I've gotten used to it. However it has gotten much worse over the course of the last six months.
I try and start the car and after it turns over it immediately turns off and the security light flashes on the dash for 10 minutes. Once it stops flashing I can then start it and be on my way.
I've owned the car for 8 years and it used to leave me stranded for 10 minutes maybe once or twice a year. Now it is doing this to me two or three times a week. (Being stranded in a mandatory evacuation zone during hurricane Irma not knowing if the car was going to start was awful.)

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to get this to stop? Or maybe any tricks on getting it to start immediately without having to wait for the flashing light to go off? The car JUST hit 100,000 miles the other week, has no other issues and has a beautiful paint job, so its not really worth just getting rid of the car over something this silly. I've had it "diagnosed" several times and each time they get the result that there is nothing wrong and I'm good to go.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Cutlass350 is on a distinguished road
This is almost too simple to answer.

A) Who/What did you get it "diagnosed by"?

B) Last I checked, GM and it's dealers, are still around. For hard/funky issues, bring the car to a Dealer, or drive it over a cliff.
Yea, it is that simple.
If you buy a new car, it's the same. But, there are a ton more things that can, and often do, go wrong.

C) Bring it to a mechanic that is *currently* ASE certified to work on GM vehicles. Fwiw, having a current ASE GM certificate does not mean that the mechanic knows about older GM cars. However, if a currently ASE GM certified mechanic is older than 35, they likely know about the GM passlock systems.

D) Replace the ignition switch, do a re-learn. Any good mechanic with any clue about older GM cars knows that.

E) If D doesn't work, it's the BCM. Replace it. Again, super simple, very basic, any mechanic that is familiar with older GM cars knows that.
Fwiw, BCMs very very rarely go bad.

F) Finding independent mechanics that know older GM car is not easy. They know how to do basic BS stuff like brakes, half-shafts, bearings, etc.
However, for more GM-specific stuff, very often, they are 110% clueless.

G) Because of "F", see "B". If the car isn't worth a trip to a Dealer, then I hope you don't live in Florida.
Although, there must be some cliffs somewhere in super flat Florida?? If not, then it's time for a road trip.

Groundhog Day - Phil (Bill Murray) Steals Phil (The Groundhog)
https://youtu.be/N01vThrQ40Q?t=2m30s

Also, fwiw, a quick Google search returned the following:
http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

Good Luck.

Tags
ignition, passlock, security