oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Most Recent Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Bravada

Oldsmobile Bravada Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Bravada based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Buying a Bravada

Old May 18th, 2005

77salon
Hi,

My wife and I are considering purchasing an SUV. I've looked at the 95-97 GMC and Blazer, and the 96-97 Bravada. We're leaning heavily toward the 97 Bravada (found one with 77000 miles), but have a few questions we need to have ansewered.

1. How is the gas mileage compared to the Blazer/Jimmy?
2. How often do you need to change fluids and rotate tires?
3. What kind of problems should I expect?
4. Is it possible to put some sort of third seat in this truck (without having to spend thousands)?

We really like the looks of the Olds (much better looking than the newer ones). It reminds me of a 69 Cutlass! It also has a lot of features that you can't get (or will pay more for) on the others. I hate to go newer than a 97 because of payments and the fact that I dont want an airbag on the passenger side (young son might want to ride up front). I'm trying to weigh the facts between the makes, and make an informed decision.

Thanks for your help,

77salon

Old May 19th, 2005

Mattl is an unknown quantity at this point
My wife & I have owned our 98 Bravada for about 4 years now which we bought used. It is a really great truck. I have used it for towing & hauling all kinds of things from cars on tow dollies to snowmobiles & drywall. A real nice feature is that the back seat folds flat so you have all kinds of usable space. As for installing a third seat in back I don't see that it would be very comfortable due to lack of headroom there would also be the safety factor. The only problem I have had which I am actually going to post on this board is that the turn signal flasher will periodically sound for no reason whatsoever. The signals still work fine it just that I will get the clicking sounds at random intervals. A co-worker of mine has a 99 Bravada and she too just started experiencing the same problem. I have almost 80,00 miles on mine she has somewhere in the high 60's on hers. As for maintenance I have found that it is really no different than a mid size car. I fill the tank about every two weeks mainly because I don't drive it as much now that we purchased an '04 Alero and also have moved closer to our work locations. Can't help you much there. Also, the Smart Trak system (on demand all wheel drive) is wonderful. I believe that was on the '97 as well, you may want to check. I have Never had problems with accelerating even in slippery conditions.

Hope this helps in your buying decision.
Old June 1st, 2005
Gil Ogle

We have a 97 Bravada that we bought as a dealer demo with 9000 miles in 97. We now have nearly 160,000 miles. The major problems that we have had ( there have actually been few) seem to be centered around the transaxle and front bearings. The oil dipstick will have to be replaced if it hasn't been done...you can tell by checking for rust on the dipstick. The windshield wipers give us a little trouble but there was a recall on them that we never got taken care of. I have never heard of a third seat for the Bravada. Gas mileage averages about 18 or 19 with as high as 24 on the open road (if one doesn't go too fast!). I have never rotated the tires because of the all wheel drive...I haven't noticed any uneven wear and I have always bought 4 new tires when I changed. The car handles great in all conditions. We liked it so much that we bought an 04...final 500.
Quote:
Originally posted by 77salon@May 18 2005, 12:45 AM
Hi,

My wife and I are considering purchasing an SUV. I've looked at the 95-97 GMC and Blazer, and the 96-97 Bravada. We're leaning heavily toward the 97 Bravada (found one with 77000 miles), but have a few questions we need to have ansewered.

1. How is the gas mileage compared to the Blazer/Jimmy?
2. How often do you need to change fluids and rotate tires?
3. What kind of problems should I expect?
4. Is it possible to put some sort of third seat in this truck (without having to spend thousands)?

We really like the looks of the Olds (much better looking than the newer ones). It reminds me of a 69 Cutlass! It also has a lot of features that you can't get (or will pay more for) on the others. I hate to go newer than a 97 because of payments and the fact that I dont want an airbag on the passenger side (young son might want to ride up front). I'm trying to weigh the facts between the makes, and make an informed decision.

Thanks for your help,

77salon
[snapback]7067[/snapback]