oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Oldsmobile Etcetera > Oldsmobile Automobile Reviews

Notices

Oldsmobile Automobile Reviews Reviews of all Oldsmobile models right here in one place.

Oldsmobile Forum: 1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

Old January 23rd, 2005

RoraStar96
Luxury, affordability, power, grace, style, flaws?

The Oldsmobile Aurora (classic model) has them all. Bear with me as I give a complete review of my Classic Aurora

I currently own a classic Aurora finished in tri-coat diamond white. This vehicle came equipped with all stock options except for factory chrome 16" rims.

Options List

Dual mode front heated seats
12 disc in trunk CD changer with Bose Acoustimass audio
16" chrome rims
Autobahn package featuring 3.71 transaxle ration, V-rated Michelin tires and 140mph speed limiter
Gold badging.

General Standard features

4.0L V8 32 valve (4 valves per cylinder) aluminum engine
250 bhp HP/260 ft lbs torque
4T80E electronically controlled 4 speed tranmission with OD and Power Trans activation
Platinum Spark plugs
235/60/16 tires with 16" 6 spoke rims (alloy or chrome)
4 wheel disc brake with Traction Control
Electronic Level control system
Stainless steel dual exhaust
Heated mirrors
Keyless entry/security
Driver Information Center
Daytime Running Lights
Integrated Foglamps
Premium Leather seats
Electronically controlled enviromental system
6 speaker audio with Stereo/Cassette/CD w/ optional Bose Acoustimass
2 way Lumbar support
Powered front seats

Pros

Unmatched design, unique 32V DOHC Northstar engine unique to the Aurora, Cockpit-like driver environment, large quality tires, afforadable resale price, soft yet durable leather, easy to use Driver Information Center.

Cons

Oil leakage in the early model (95-96), small brakes (95), Fuel pressure regulator problems (95-99), spotty ELC system, complex electronic systems that can get frustrating and expensive to solve/fix, weak suspension (95-96), lousy resale value

There were plenty of upgrades and most problems were solved in the later Classic Aurora models.

Personal opinion- "Head turner car to the Max!"

Its a wonderful car to own, however its not a driveway mechanics car to fix. If you can afford to drive/operate an Aurora, then you should have enough to fix it. The Classic Aurora takes only premium fuel yet it delivers unsurpassed performance and fuel economy when used in the car. Highway mileage rivals most midsized V6, not bad for a 4000lb V8. City milage is pretty weak though. The engine and transmission is top of the line by far and the DOHC and V8 gives amazing passing power. A full tuneup is not needed for the first 80-100K miles due to Dexcool coolant system and platinum spark plugs.

Maintenance on my car.

New radiator at 80K miles (130 000 kms)
ELC system is dead
Totally rebuilt braking system (Master cylinder, brake line, ETCBM, Rotors/pad upgrade)
Rear shocks
Front WSS (1)

Modifications

Stainless steel Cat-back Magnaflow exhaust.
Rebuilt brake lines, with Rototech Cross drilled/slotted rotors and Wagner Quiet Stop ceramic pads.
Gutted Intake/K&N filter
35% tint
Custom fabricated electrical grounding kit
Ractive Quad exhaust tips
255/50/VR17 BF Goodrich performance tires
17" Bonneville SSEi chrome rims

Old May 7th, 2005
alarming9

I am trying to purchase the ECM for an Arora with the Autobahn package. The dealer tells me they need a valid VIN #. Does anyone have one they can help me with? Also do you know it that will have a problem swaping computers but not re-gearing the transmission?
Old October 14th, 2008

JMulder79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarming9 View Post
I am trying to purchase the ECM for an Arora with the Autobahn package. The dealer tells me they need a valid VIN #. Does anyone have one they can help me with? Also do you know it that will have a problem swaping computers but not re-gearing the transmission?
Quick answer: Yes. You'll need to replace the differential.

For more information, go to: http://www.proboards47.com/