oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: eng trans mounts 1992 toronado trofeo

Old July 30th, 2013

goldsmobile is on a distinguished road
eng trans mounts 1992 toronado trofeo

how much time one wastes searching for the parts so when you do find them somehow is all worth it. Ninety Eight Regency started a thread awhile back on this. Here is a link: http://www.oldsmobileforums.com/foru...ad.php?t=14046

the 1992 eng mount has a different part number from 1991, and so 1991 mounts may also have eng/trans mount brackets that differ from the newer 1992 models.

the most common mount for 1992 is the upper strut mount for the engine, found everywhere, all day long, really never seen one go bad. Anchor makes the upper torque strut mount as part #2662.

its the main engine mount - found below the exhaust manifold, opposite the radiator that is impossible to find since going obsolete from GM. the commonly shared part number for the aftermarket engine mount, from the major mount companies is 2943.

Major manufacturers include: Anchor/AZA?/DEA/Doan/Mountec/PMM/PartsMaster/Protier/Uni Select/Westar

here is a link, its #14 in pic: http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/sho...ssembly=811602

Last, is the driveline vibration absorber, or shock that mounts in front of the harmonic balancer/crankpulley, also now obsolete from GM. here is a link, #6 in pic: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...modelYear=1989
The Mercedes Benz uses this same style absorber for the engine 'Stabilus p/n 123 240 23 48' - stock units appear to be end to end at 8" collapsed and 9 1/2" fully extended, made by Stabilus in Germany; company that supplied the hood struts for Trofeo and they make engine shocks/absorbers/dampeners for the Benz.

Any help getting this thread along the way will be much appreciated as always, to those who donated their time the past months, years, a sincere thank you.

Last edited by goldsmobile; August 12th, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

Old August 4th, 2013

hammer489 is on a distinguished road
just a quick hint - the 92 seville 4.9 engine mount is almost identical. I will post pics as soon as I have some free time
Old August 6th, 2013

Okay, great good to know this, interested do you know how it can be made to fit for Trofeo, yes do keep us posted, can see pics of Anchor mount #2836 from Rock auto web site: click Cadillac/1992/Engine/Motor mounts.

If anybody here is parting out a 1992 toronado/trofeo I need a good used engine mount please send email through here and I'll buy it from you - or - anybody know of a '92 in your local j-yard with a good mount please email me through here with the name/number of the yard.

GM parts sales stated today that the 1992 engine mount gm p/n 22112653 was superceded to part gm p/n 22113021, and fits 1986-92 Toronado/Trofeo. I find the latter hard to believe, since, 1992 Buick Reatta & Riviera owners & their mechanic's also complain on GM forums that the 1990-91 #2943 type (anchor/westar/dea) after-market mounts are not bolting into their '92 frames either, as is the case with '92 Trofeo owner's on our forum, with me as GM's latest victim.

GM sales also states that the 1992 Toronado/Trofeo mount also was found on '92 Buick Reatta and '92 Riviera. Here may be the only hope for Tro/Reat/Riv when trying to source a used unit if indeed gm is completely sold out if the aftermarket mount is incorrect for '92 Trofeo/Reatta/Riviera

Again, while 1990-91 motor mounts for Trofeo (and presumably Reatta and Riviera) shared the same part number, gm p/n 17998659. This number was either harmlessly superceded in 1992 or a new part number issued because the mount was 'slightly' different for 1992. (The '92engine mount appears that it is a unique design.) I have yet to see one unbolted from a frame so I am not the one to ask...yet.

Also involved are 1991 engine mount brackets and the 1992 eng brkt. have different part numbers, too. It leads me to believe the engine mounts were different from one another.

It seems that most/all owner's are unwilling to drill holes into the frame to accept the 1990-91 #2943 motor mounts. Still there may be some work-around, as in, perhaps a custom 'bracket' underneath the #2943/#2883 ('92 Cadillac Seville/Deville/El Doroado) mount and one -or- if necessary, two holes drilled for bolt(s) to be placed where the '92 studs placement in the motor mount was. Here the old LH/RH trans mounts & driveline vibration absorber would still keep the engine from moving horizontal, while the readily available 1991 mount/custom bracket would keep engine bolted in & from ever moving vertical/up off of the frame.

Last edited by goldsmobile; August 7th, 2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old August 8th, 2013

Engine Mount #2943

#2943 is the generic number for the 1990-91 Trofeo engine mount. Type the search words '2943 mount' into eBay's search box and you'll be shown 3 different mounts amongst the group of currently advertised eng mounts, one is by Anchor, one by DEA and one by Westar. Look specifically at the generic photos of the Westar 2943 eng mount (black/correct upright position) and compare to the DEA (upside down) eng mount. Both DEA & Westar mounts appear to share identical stud placement. Rather, the left stud is slightly forward of the right stud (which is slightly behind,) - while this stud arrangement may be correct for 1991 Trofeo, this is not right for 1992 Trofeo. 1992 has a complete opposite hole arrangement in the frame, which is why the complaints that the 2943 does not fit 1992.

To see the stud placement of the DEA 2943 mount I just bought - then go to deaproducts.com - choose 1990 olds toronado then click onto A2943, it has plenty of detailed pics of why the studs are wrong for 1992 Trofeo, they're backwards.

Now, compare to the Anchor 2943 generic photo, this mount is also pictured as it would be as if bolted into the frame/engine, or correctly positioned in photo as is the Wester generic pic. Look close, it appears as if the Anchor mount has its pair of frame mounting studs (bottom studs) completely reversed from those of the DEA and Westar 2943 eng mount studs. It may be that the generic photo is not an Anchor 2943 at all. What is important for 1992 Trofeo owner's is that the Anchor generic photo shows a potential mount that has/should have the correct stud placement for 1992, while to review how the DEA and Westar mounts both look opposite placement of the Anchor and 90 & may/may not be correct for 91?.

My goal then is to ever find a correct Anchor? 2943 that has the right stud forward of the left stud when looking down at mount from above as if it were bolted in place lower frame between engine and radiator near a/c compressor. As it is, I recently confirmed since I just ordered/have a DEA brand 2943 and the right frame mounting stud is behind the left frame stud which will not bolt into this 1992 frame.

How does one maybe custom fabricate this DEA/Westar 2943 mount to fit 1992 frame hole pattern, sheesh! who knows, again perhaps create a flat steel square 'bracket' to correctly place two new holes for new 2 bolts/2 nuts into and finish with two holes/2 nuts for the DEA frame mounting studs, this system would raise the engine the thickness of the bracket, which seems unacceptable and just as easy fopr DEA and Westar to reconfigure their robots to place the studs where they belonged in 1992...tbc

The challenge still lies in finding a good used unit, most all are 20+ years old by now and too far gone to be safely sold...I'm finding most j-yards don't deal in mounts, others torch them off, there are some good folks/sales persons still around don't mind pulling one if you ask nice enough. there may be some good used aftermarket units so wish us happy hunting

Last edited by goldsmobile; August 8th, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old August 9th, 2013

Last edited by hammer489; August 9th, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old August 9th, 2013

I strongly suggest you buy yourself the seville 4.9 engine mount and pull your existing mount. Once you do this you will see exactly what needs to be done. I cannot comment on the easiest way to accomplish the modifications with the engine still in the car as I have pulled both the engine and transmission in preperation for my series 3 supercharged swap that is underway. I suspect you could get to this area after removing the radiator, fans, and a/c compressor. You may not have to do all of this, I am purely speculating. Worse case, you could visit a machine shop and have the seville mount cut open, the studs flipped to the proper position, and have the bottom of the mount welded back together. Aftermarket Seville mounts sell on ebay very reasonable...
Old August 11th, 2013

Looks promising no doubt very similar, thank you for the help, really appreciate this and you and your time.

An alternative is to use 3m Window welt urethane in a tube on the mount as it sits in place, fill cracks wait to harden, then check every few months to see how repair holds/held.

Other alternative is to remove torn motor mount and rebuild with either 3M window welt urethane or Devcon type 2 part urethane mixes, removing old rubber as needed and shaping the product into a usable form. The motor mounts look to be shaped at the top and may be a bit difficult to reproduce this area so that leaving as much of original rubber may be needed in some/most cases. Removing all the rubber by torch or other method (knife)and building a new mount with urethane may also prove to be difficult.

In the case of revulcanizing the original mount, one pro the Damper Dr said he tried and it melted the oil inside and also the pot metal melted as he was attemting to melt the old rubber in prep for new rubber so that he has given up on them. All other rubber revulcan sources say the mount is too new an item to do. Urethane companies want like 500 units to make before taking on the motor mount job. There aren't enough 92 Trofeos left to warrant the task/$$.
Old October 19th, 2018

Hoog is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to shout a big THANK YOU to hammer489. I followed your suggestions and I was able to get the new motor mount in the 1992 Trofeo tonight. I really appreciate the photos, part numbers, and info. I was really sunk until reading your post, 👍 😊
Old October 19th, 2018

This worked GREAT for me!
Old October 20th, 2018

The actual installation was done on a hydraulic lift. Drilling out the hole provd to be a challenge, but thanks to Hammer489 I am back on the road!