oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 90 Trofeo brake question

Old January 17th, 2013

LoganW20 is on a distinguished road
Well now the buzzing sound went away and I now have hardly any brakes I press down on the pedal as hard as i possibly can and I ever so slowly come to a complete stop the pedal is hard as a rock too. I also know this isn't the accumulator because its a few months old.

Now what I'm wondering is if this is going to be pretty costly to fix because the mechanics I know around here know nothing about Teves brake system. Any help would be appreciated!

Old January 17th, 2013

retroren is on a distinguished road
I experienced the hardness of pedal. Your booster is not working. It is a seperate component of the Teves system. You may be able to get one on Ebay. I've seen rebuilt ones for $500. I went to my salvage yard (Parts Galore) and pulled the entire unit from an '89 Bonneville. It cost me $75 and an hour or so of my time. I gave it to my mechanic and he installed it for $250. This was 2 years ago and knock on wood, I have not had a problem since. I just pulled and bought another Teves unit as a back up. If you are not the type to go to a junk yard and pull one, many junk yards will pull it for you. If you haven't purchased a service manual yet, you need to as it shows you the unit, how it works and how to get it out (4 bolts behind the brake pedal). I take my manual to my mechanic to show him what I need done when I can't do it. If you choose to buy a salage unit, GM used the Teves system on Toros, Bonnevilles, Cadillacs, Buicks so you should be able to find one fairly easily.
Old January 17th, 2013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teves-Power-...fa8eb3&vxp=mtr

here's one for $275(or best offer) on ebay.
Old January 18th, 2013

Thank you! I appreciate your help!
Old January 20th, 2013

You may want to have the relay checked for the booster before you swap out the entire unit. The relay is like a plug in fuse. The booster itself can be changed seperately without an entire swap out. It is a reasonablely easy procedure for a mechanic to install the booster (it's not too bad to do the entire unit either) and bleed the brake lines. The ebay unit appears to have worked before it was pulled. Also the seller is willing to take offers. If you buy a used unit and swap it out, you may want to put your new accumulator on it. As you can see, you have several options to get your brakes back at a cost of $400-600 for parts and labor. Good luck. I just finished installing the second rack and pinion steering unit in as many weeks as the first one leaked. I hope this new on holds its seal. Old cars, you have to love them.
Old January 31st, 2013

Did you make any progress with the brake issue?
Old February 5th, 2013

Yes i did the booster was out as you said found one for 350 dollars got it in an works like a charm now! Thanks for the help!
And it was about 600 bucks for the total which is a lot less than I thought it would be.

Last edited by LoganW20; February 5th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old February 5th, 2013

Good to hear. I actually drove with that hard pedal for about 3 months. It sure did teach me to not tailgate. Did you keep your old unit since you had a new accumulator put on it?

Also, you may benefit from another painful lesson I learned. When I bought my '88 3 years ago, I gave it a tune-up. Mister big shot spent $7 a piece to buy and install Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs thinking I would improve performance and gas mileage. Well, everything was okay with the exception of the engine missing when I tried to drive at a constant speed of 40-45. I just did another tune-up but this time I got the spec'ed, $2 AC Delco plugs. Boy does she run good now. She's smooth at all speeds. Don't ask me why I tolerated the problem for so long. Maybe I felt I had to get my $7 per plug worth or I'm stupid. Probably a little of each. Hope this helps.
Old February 6th, 2013

No I didn't keep the old unit but had them put the new accumulator I had on the old unit on the new one.

And wow thanks for informing me on those plugs I would probably buy premium ones as well if I didn't know that, Lol.
Old February 6th, 2013

I am curious as to what the car was doing a few month's back that caused you to replace the accumulator?