oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: HOW TO: Hydrolic ABS - Brake accumulator

Old May 11th, 2004

djlahey
In the next few weeks I will bring to you my experience on how to determine what is wrong with my hydrolic ABS.

Problem:
While driving, the brake pedal on my 89 Toronado Trofeo got stiff. So stiff that it takes a brick to brake the car.

In the past:
This car has already once had a problem with the brakes. That time it was the Brake Accumulator. Total cost to a very cheap (now closed) repair shop: around $300

First Step:
I brought the car to my current repair shop of preference, just to learn that they don't deal with that type of ABS Brakes.

Research:
The ABS is a Teves ABS System, usually installed on Buicks Reattas, some Jags and many Olds. This ABS is not that durable, infact many car makers had recalled it.

Second Step:
I looked around for a repair shop that will diagnose the problem on this type of ABS and asked for prices. The results varied from a minimum of $98 to a maximum of $120 just to check the ABS.

Decision:
Before I jump into spending that kind of money I decided to download the instructions to take apart the ABS myself. These instructions can be found at Reatta Network.
If I don't see any problems, I will take the car in and spend that money. Otherwise I will try to fix it myself.

Stay tuned for the next episode with pictures!

Old May 11th, 2004

razoredge
This teves system while used extensively on Riviera, Toronado, and Reatta. Was also option on all GM cars in late 80's. There are LeSabre T-types that were ordered with this option, Bonnevilles, Delta 88's and also the TGP (turbo grand prix 89/90) guys are very fimiliar with this sinful brake system.

gidget gadget - do we really need this stuff ?

give me normal brakes and round chrome bezel individual mechanical gauges and I'll be smilin from ear to ear.
Old May 12th, 2004

djlahey
Yeah, those guys helped me out too.

Last night I started checking the system myself and the first thing I noticed is that the electrical plug of the pressure actuator was wet damp inside!
It took me 20 minutes to dry it all up with my wife's Hair dryer.
Nothing, it didn't fix the problem.
I checked the Brake Accumulator and I couldn't find any visible cracks or malfunctions from the outside.
Another visible issue is that on of the electrical plugs has the wires split in half (like a small hole) but no signs of burns.
I'll make some research on how much it would cost me to buy a new set of electrical wires for this ABS system and let you know.
Old May 23rd, 2004

djlahey
Well it took me two weeks to get some more insight on this problem.

I found a place that said they would look at the brakes for no money (which was great since everybody else told me that they would charge me a min of$98)

So I brought the car in and they later call me up telling me that they think its the ABS Accumulator, the Pressure switch and the two rear brakes are getting no brake fuild, or one is but it's not strong enough to move the brake. I am also told that the two rear calipers need to be replaced.

I ask them to take care of the accumulator and the switch thinking that I could take care of the rest at home.

The next day they call me up telling me that they found out that it's not the ABS Accumulator (yes you are allowed to laugh now), but they believe the ABS pump is not working properly. (they had already changed the Pressure switch).
The tell me that the part only (the ABS Pump) costs over $800... so I call it off for the moment and tell them that I'll drive the car home.

They charged me over $400 and the brakes are the same as before.

Next step? Lawyer on the phone??!!
Old October 21st, 2018

Toronado is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlahey View Post
Well it took me two weeks to get some more insight on this problem.

I found a place that said they would look at the brakes for no money (which was great since everybody else told me that they would charge me a min of$98)

So I brought the car in and they later call me up telling me that they think its the ABS Accumulator, the Pressure switch and the two rear brakes are getting no brake fuild, or one is but it's not strong enough to move the brake. I am also told that the two rear calipers need to be replaced.

I ask them to take care of the accumulator and the switch thinking that I could take care of the rest at home.

The next day they call me up telling me that they found out that it's not the ABS Accumulator (yes you are allowed to laugh now), but they believe the ABS pump is not working properly. (they had already changed the Pressure switch).
The tell me that the part only (the ABS Pump) costs over $800... so I call it off for the moment and tell them that I'll drive the car home.

They charged me over $400 and the brakes are the same as before.

Next step? Lawyer on the phone??!!
Did you get your problem fixed? Iím having problems with my teves system. Thank you.