oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight (88) > Oldsmobile 88 FWD

Oldsmobile 88 FWD Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight (88) front wheel drive based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 1995 Oldsmobile LSS IP cluster upgrade

Old June 18th, 2012

Opus62 is on a distinguished road
Smile 1995 Oldsmobile LSS IP cluster upgrade

Hi everybody

Totally new here! I have a 1995 LSS non-supercharged in great shape. I have older vehicles and I love scouring the boneyard for potential upgrades [sort of a hobby and learning experience].

I recently scored an electronic instrument cluster and HVAC controls from a 1995 Olds 98 Regency and installed it in my 95 LSS which has/had conventional gauges. Just did the swap today and it works like magic...well...almost. Temperature, speed and fuel gauge work great, as does the odometer, trip meter, ABS malfunction light, fasten seatbelts light and signal lights. However, all is not perfect. The controls that came with the HVAC control unit do absolutely nothing at all. The status display shows "oil pressure sender problem" and "light monitor problem" along with a code for each problem.
I am wondering if it is an issue with the body control module or a software issue. Both clusters have oil pressure lights, not gauges. It sure looks cool and it's also a surprise for my wife, who is the primary driver.

Last edited by Opus62; June 18th, 2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Punctuation error

Old June 18th, 2012
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY has disabled reputation
I was wondering if that swap would work. I am glad it does. I think it is one of two things:

1. The car it came out of had those issues and it may need to be reset.
2. You might to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it to see if that works.

It has to work. Maybe another HVAC from Ebay from another Ninety Eight may work better. I have a Oldsmobile 98 and a Toronado. I know I have the 98 that had the controls you mentioned. I have swapped clusters on the Toronado and it worked. I swapped clusters on the Ninety Eight before too.

It would be nice to see photos. I bet it looks really nice.

RANSOM ELI OLDS REINCARNATED
Old June 18th, 2012

I forgot to clarify that the HVAC controls are all working fine, just the small buttons to the left, the ones that control the driver information center, do nothing at all. I am wondering if the fact that the system seems to be in "error" [oil pressure sender problem] could be locking out the controls, due to the critical nature of such an error.
Old June 18th, 2012

Also, how long would the battery have to be disconnected to reset the computer?
Old June 18th, 2012
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

You might have a point there. I know that the clusters were interchangeable. The reason I say this is the 1994-1995 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight that had the Supercharged package had the same options as a fully loaded Ninety Eight that had the digital cluster and the cluster was the same as the LSS. It has to work. There is something I am missing and you are over looking. The ECM perhaps? I know the four buttons you are referring to. I have a Ninety Eight. It controls the information center.

Old June 18th, 2012
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus62 View Post
Also, how long would the battery have to be disconnected to reset the computer?
I do not know, but I know I have seen and heard them about resetting the computer to retrain it to learn the car.

Old June 19th, 2012

I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, no difference. If I turn the key on, without starting the engine, it tells me that all monitored systems are ok. Oh, and it is also telling me to "change oil now" when it's running. After another person's suggestion, I turned the key on, pressed the accelerator pedal to the floor 3 times then turned the key off. Waited for a few minutes then restarted. No change. None of the displays are flashing.
Old June 19th, 2012
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

I tried researching it for you last night. I came up with nothing. I read where a guy was switching his cluster for the other too. Someone mentioned the pcm. A mechanic said they were the same system. I wished I could help you with more. At least I know the cluster change works. It is the information center that is the source of the problem. It is not reading your car correctly unless you really do need to change the oil.

I found this online about resetting the oil change in the information center:

Instructions

Turn the ignition to the key-on/engine-off position to access the electrical power of the Oldsmobile. This step is necessary no matter what year or model the Oldsmobile is. To access the position, turn the key two clicks forward to turn on all the electrical options of the Oldsmobile, without starting the engine.

Depress the accelerator fully to the floor three times within a five second period. This will work on the Alero and Cutlass Supreme models manufactured between 1996 and 1999, as well as the Intrigue manufactured between 1998 and 2001. The Change Oil Light will flash and then go out when reset correctly.

Sponsored Links
Valvoline Oil Change

Get a Fast Oil Change & Save Money. Download Your $7 Coupon Now!
Coupon.VIOC.com

Depress the Reset button on the information center of the Oldsmobile Alero manufactured between 2000 and 2001. On some 1999 models, you may have a feature to hold the button down until an audible chime rings, resetting the light.

Depress the Engine button on the 1995 through 1999 Aurora models. When the oil life percentage is displayed on the information center, depress the Reset button until 100 percent oil life is displayed.

Depress the Reset button on the Eighty Eight, Ninety Eight and Regency models manufactured between 1994 and 1997. Press "SEL" until the information center displays "Oil." Press the "SEL" button again to display the oil life. Press the Reset button and then hold it down for five seconds until 100 percent oil life is displayed on the information center.

Press the Test button on older versions of the Eighty Eight and Ninety Eight models featuring the Change Oil Light. Press the Oil Index button once. Press the Reset button for seven to 10 seconds.

Read more: How to Reset Your Change Oil Light in an Oldsmobile | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5950637_rese...#ixzz1yG7AMlCH

Old June 19th, 2012

UPDATE: After emptying out my pockets, I found my receipt from the boneyard where I got the instrument panel. It appears that the donor car was a 1994 98 Regency, not a 95 like my LSS. Could be problematic, as these were the years that OBD2 was phased in. My 95 LSS has an OBD2 connector. Never did check the the donor car.
Old June 20th, 2012
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Go find a 1995-1996 HVAC control and swap it. I see them on Ebay all the time. They have them other places online too. You are getting readings from that 1994 car. My Ninety Eight was a early 1995 model and it is OBD I.