oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile 442

Oldsmobile 442 Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile 442 based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: My 442 wants me to be a gearhead

Old January 3rd, 2010

New Guy 442 is on a distinguished road
My 442 wants me to be a gearhead

About 3 years ago, I transplanted my self from metro Detroit to the South Jersey/Philly area. Surely, I'm among scores of machinists who've had to abandon the Woodward Dream Cruise for the security of a reliable (and respectable) paycheck. But hey, turns out I like the East Coast just fine, so...
I digress.
I recently went to the outskirts of Flint, MI to retrieve a 1987 442 I found on Craigslist. It was a great deal, and I LOVE this car. Charcoal and silver paint, everything appears to be stock, about 140K miles, and just really nice inside & out. It's my daily driver.
It was running rough, and hesitating terribly off the line, so I bit the bullet and took it to a local shop that has a good reputation. It runs great again, but a TPS sensor, oxygen sensor, and carb and timing tweak set me back about 7 bills. Ouch.
I can't wait to start wrenching on her myself in the spring (too damn cold right now!), but I've been poking around online for parts, and not having much luck.
SO... can someone please post a website or two where I can find parts for my newly acquired 87 442? My reading tells me that engine mods for my 307, should amount to replacing it with a 350 or better if I really want serious performance improvements. But, I'm sure there are things I can do to this motor to make it peppier.
I'd really appreciate any and all input.
Thanks so much.
(sorry so long-winded =)

Last edited by New Guy 442; January 3rd, 2010 at 01:02 PM.

Old January 5th, 2010

Oldster is on a distinguished road
Sorry,
There is little you can do with the 307, but if it has a roller cam you can possibly wake it up a little with a more agressive aftermart cam. I had one of these engines and for the size of it, it was a little bear. However, the block was not well engineered, and the crank bores and webs had moved so that the block would have to be line bored. $$$
That is the reason a different engine is advisable. The small block Chevy can be fit in, but it is a major operation.
Old January 10th, 2010

coolbreezvt is on a distinguished road

man , pretty tuff spot to be in boss , its a 442 so its a car that should be kept factory , if you decide to swap i would make sure to keep the org running gear for sure , there are plenty of good reads on the web to point you in the right direction as far as mods for your 307 without doing the 350 trans plant , but i would think unless you plan on going to pinks all out you should be able to wake up the car as it sits now , if you have the room , build you a rat rodded car with a smallblock you can just pound the hell out of when you feel the need to lol would love to see what your working on , maybe you could post a pic or two when you get a chance and good luck with it
Old March 7th, 2010

New Guy 442 is on a distinguished road
Trying to post a pic of my baby =)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 442-2.JPG (93.8 KB, 16 views)
Old March 8th, 2010

78salon is on a distinguished road
Nice looking car, head over to www.oldspower.com lots of g-body olds guys there with great info.