oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Most Recent Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Alero

Notices

Oldsmobile Alero Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Alero based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: '02 Alero - Fuse 37 - AC BFC keeps blowing

Old 2 Weeks Ago

mlAlero02 is on a distinguished road
'02 Alero - Fuse 37 - AC BFC keeps blowing

Hello,

I have a '02 Olds Alero 3.4L V6. I have been experiencing an issue with my car. I was driving home from an out of state trip. The car showed no signs of problems except the AC wasn't cold on the way home. I went to get in the car the next day, and it cranked, but wouldn't start. I took the car to a mechanic and they said that the aforementioned fuse 37 was blowing. According to him they drove the car around and couldn't get the fuse to blow again, even while running the AC.

So I get the car home drove it a couple times in a day, parked it, the next day the car won't start again until I replace the fuse. The mechanic stated that if it continued to blow fuses that it was probably a worn out clutch on the AC compressor. I have not used the AC, and I am leaning towards a frayed wire considering the fuse seems to blow while it's parked. But that's why I am messaging you folks to see if that makes sense. The car was outside and experienced heavy rain before each time the fuse blew, although the fuse block under the hood is dry.

I am not real informed about automotive wiring and I can't afford to throw parts at it until is fixed.

My main questions:

What is the best way that I could trace this issue down without the expensive diagnostic equipment?

If it is an issue with the A/C Compressor, is it possible to replace the clutch without removing the compressor and discharging the system?

If I need to drive, is it safe to drive any real distance or out of town knowing that the fuse is going to blow, or will it further damage something by driving on a burnt fuse?

If you need more info or have a question, please ask. I am really hoping this isn't something to expensive.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

1970cs is on a distinguished road
If the coil on the compressor is going, they should do an amp draw proving it's drawing to many amps and causing the fuse to blow!

I think you thoughts are correct that something is pinched. If it's consistent then you will have to get a multimeter set to ohms with that fuse removed and put one lead on the load side of the fuse holder and the other to a good ground.

If it's shorted to ground it will read low in the ohms range, if it's open then no short is present. You may have to get someone to help and start tugging wires leading to the compressor and watch the meter for reading or if the meter is equipped with an beeper, you could do it by sound.

Pat
Old 1 Week Ago

Jlange2011 is on a distinguished road
Okay I had he same issue! Your A/C compressor COIL has a short in it and is causing all these issues! Replace the coil and you will be good!

I have a '02 Olds Alero 3.4L V6. I have been experiencing an issue with my car. I was driving home from an out of state trip. The car showed no signs of problems except the AC wasn't cold on the way home. I went to get in the car the next day, and it cranked, but wouldn't start. I took the car to a mechanic and they said that the aforementioned fuse 37 was blowing. According to him they drove the car around and couldn't get the fuse to blow again, even while running the AC.

So I get the car home drove it a couple times in a day, parked it, the next day the car won't start again until I replace the fuse. The mechanic stated that if it continued to blow fuses that it was probably a worn out clutch on the AC compressor. I have not used the AC, and I am leaning towards a frayed wire considering the fuse seems to blow while it's parked. But that's why I am messaging you folks to see if that makes sense. The car was outside and experienced heavy rain before each time the fuse blew, although the fuse block under the hood is dry.

I am not real informed about automotive wiring and I can't afford to throw parts at it until is fixed.

My main questions:

What is the best way that I could trace this issue down without the expensive diagnostic equipment?

If it is an issue with the A/C Compressor, is it possible to replace the clutch without removing the compressor and discharging the system?

If I need to drive, is it safe to drive any real distance or out of town knowing that the fuse is going to blow, or will it further damage something by driving on a burnt fuse?

If you need more info or have a question, please ask. I am really hoping this isn't something to expensive.[/QUOTE]