oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Oldsmobile Etcetera > General Oldsmobile Non-Model Specific Discussion

General Oldsmobile Non-Model Specific Discussion Section for discussions regarding "Oldsmobile" in general. Not for model-specific discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: THE OLDSMOBILE LETTERS AND SYMBOL IS GONE

Old November 16th, 2004

Black02Rora
Hey all,
I am rather new to this site (as far as posting goes), but I wanted to share something with my fellow Oldsmobile brothers and sisters. I was driving to work today and I usually pass this one particular Oldsmobile/Cadillac dealer everyday in route. It's where I bought my 2002 Aurora. This dealer has gradually become a GM Superstore. Well, while sitting at a traffic light today, I noticed they removed all of the letters off of the building and the illuminated sign that once spelled out OLDSMOBILE with the new rocket logo is GONE. I saw the sign just yesterday! They even left the light on every night that lit up OLDSMOBILE. Even the decals in the showroom windows are GONE!

Now today it is like the brand was never there. In Olds' place they've added a temporary Buick banner in the window to supposedly advertise the arrival of the brand. This kinda saddend me for I knew it was over but you never think "IT'S OVER!" I guess I was in denial and still holding on to the name and brand. It's even strange looking at 2005 new car publishings and NOT seeing Oldsmobile listed. I will surely miss it.

There were many Oldsmobiles in my family. Even as a young man (I am 29) I've had 3 Oldsmobiles (81 Cutlass Supreme, 91 Trofeo and 02 Aurora) with the Aurora being my first new car. I never thought of it as an Old person's brand. Especially so with Aurora. If Aurora is an old folk's ride, then old folks have damn good taste! Oldsmobile always portrayed elegance, class and sport. A delicate balance of all the traits. Kinda like it's owners. It had a dominate place within General Motors. The last generation of Olds was pretty good. OLDS had it all right and were moving in the right direction. The OSV OLDSMOBILES were hot concepts!!! No way were they old folk designs. GM sabotaged it. They got rid of the wrong one.

Just wanted to share my experience and give Olds some long overdue props.
THANKS FOR READING. Let me hear some feedback. What do you all think about it? Do you care at all? Or, Am I over reacting?

Old November 16th, 2004

RoraStar96
That was a great read....good to see the passion is still out there for the Olds lineup

I was disheartened with my local dealership went all Chevrolet and took down the Olds banner, now they get excited when my Aurora rolls in
Old November 17th, 2004

The Olds/Cadillac dealer at where I bought my 2001 Aurora 4.0 still has the Olds
sign & logo on display.

GM!!! BRING BACK OLDS!!!

Old November 17th, 2004

Black02Rora
THESE ARE TRULY THE FINAL DAYS!!!!!! SAVOR THEM.
Old November 17th, 2004
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Sal Collaziano has disabled reputation
It really is a shame.. It's sad to see Oldsmobile really go. Maybe we'll see it back in one form or another, someday.. Until then, we'll just have to stick together with what we've got left..
Old November 30th, 2004

Black02Rora
THE NEW SIGN IS UP!!!!! In Oldsmobile's place it just reads "buick". I'm so excited. WUTEVA!!!
Old December 1st, 2004

w3rk5
Crying!? Who me!? Nawww............I think I got something in my eye.
Old May 4th, 2005

Drew
The Olds/caddy dealership where I take mine for service still has oldsmobile on the sign =)
I heard that GM origionaly was going to discontinue buick!
Old May 4th, 2005

Gus Edwards
Quote:
Originally posted by Black02Rora@Nov 16 2004, 04:07 PM
Hey all,
I am rather new to this site (as far as posting goes), but I wanted to share something with my fellow Oldsmobile brothers and sisters. I was driving to work today and I usually pass this one particular Oldsmobile/Cadillac dealer everyday in route. It's where I bought my 2002 Aurora. This dealer has gradually become a GM Superstore. Well, while sitting at a traffic light today, I noticed they removed all of the letters off of the building and the illuminated sign that once spelled out OLDSMOBILE with the new rocket logo is GONE. I saw the sign just yesterday! They even left the light on every night that lit up OLDSMOBILE. Even the decals in the showroom windows are GONE!

Now today it is like the brand was never there. In Olds' place they've added a temporary Buick banner in the window to supposedly advertise the arrival of the brand. This kinda saddend me for I knew it was over but you never think "IT'S OVER!" I guess I was in denial and still holding on to the name and brand. It's even strange looking at 2005 new car publishings and NOT seeing Oldsmobile listed. I will surely miss it.

There were many Oldsmobiles in my family. Even as a young man (I am 29) I've had 3 Oldsmobiles (81 Cutlass Supreme, 91 Trofeo and 02 Aurora) with the Aurora being my first new car. I never thought of it as an Old person's brand. Especially so with Aurora. If Aurora is an old folk's ride, then old folks have damn good taste! Oldsmobile always portrayed elegance, class and sport. A delicate balance of all the traits. Kinda like it's owners. It had a dominate place within General Motors. The last generation of Olds was pretty good. OLDS had it all right and were moving in the right direction. The OSV OLDSMOBILES were hot concepts!!! No way were they old folk designs. GM sabotaged it. They got rid of the wrong one.

Just wanted to share my experience and give Olds some long overdue props.
THANKS FOR READING. Let me hear some feedback. What do you all think about it? Do you care at all? Or, Am I over reacting?
[snapback]3912[/snapback]
Old May 4th, 2005

Gus Edwards
Question

No, you're not over-reacting; read some of my letters that are in various sections of this forum. The decision to send Oldsmobiles into extinction was a travesty and disgrace, a slap in the face of the American way! But like some volcanoes, Oldsmobiles may not be extinct, only dormant...heh, heh...waiting for the right time to stir things up! - Gus Edwards AKA Cheryl B. Montoya