oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Oldsmobile Etcetera > General Oldsmobile Non-Model Specific Discussion

General Oldsmobile Non-Model Specific Discussion Section for discussions regarding "Oldsmobile" in general. Not for model-specific discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 3800 Crank pulley removal

Old October 20th, 2010

alexmeek is on a distinguished road
3800 Crank pulley removal

I have a 3800 and i think the Cranck pulley has welded its self to the crank i've tried a screwdriver on the flywheel and a breakover bar on the retiner bolt and i've used an Impact wrench on it and nothing i've used has worked. PLEASE HELP

Old October 20th, 2010

crate78 is on a distinguished road
It sounds like you have not gotten the retainer bolt loose. You have to realize they are torqued to something like 220 foot pounds, and can be a bearcat to break loose, particularly if it's never been loosened since the engine was assembled at the factory. It's been my experience that the factories tend to overdo it on torquing bolts.

I had a 3.8 on an engine stand once, and had to anchor the stand to the drawbar of a tractor and use about a 3' cheater on a breaker bar.

I like to use an appropriate device to lock the crankshaft, actually a vice grips locked onto the flex plate and rotated against the engine block seems to work well. Then have the front of the car high enough to use a 2' to 3' cheater on a breaker bar. It goes without saying that you need a high quality socket and breaker bar.

The dampener is not tapered onto the crankshaft. Once the retainer bolt is removed, I've never had a problem pulling the dampener, some you can even pull with your hands.

Good luck!
Old October 21st, 2010

thanks sounds like i need to get it on a lift.
Old October 24th, 2010

Hi I was able to get the crank pully off after we used an old industrial sized Snap-on Ratchet with a long extension and it came out with out a problem, but know that we've replaced the crank sensor it not throwing any codes but we still have no spark what could it be.