oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Most Recent Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Intrigue

Oldsmobile Intrigue Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Intrigue based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Leaking Timing Chain Cover

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dawson is on a distinguished road
Leaking Timing Chain Cover

I have a leaking timing chain cover on my 2002 Intrigue, and instead of having it replaced which is a pretty large job, I decided to try some ATP AT205 Reseal in the engine. I was getting a moderately large oil leak every day under the car, but after adding a bottle it has surprisingly reduced quite a bit after driving the car for many hours. I think they say it takes about five hours of driving time to see maximum results.

Now I only have a few drops. I also picked up some Permatex Spray Seal which is a clear rubber exterior seal that I'm going to try. It's product 82099, and I hear good things about it. I'm going to clean the engine with some brake clean/engine degreaser, hose it down, drive around a bit to warm up the engine and dry things before applying. I think the instructions say it takes about 3 coats with a few minutes drying in between on a warm engine to work.

Edit: Oh oh maybe spoke too soon about the ATP AT205.... I noticed a larger leak again under the car. Oh darn. Unless maybe itís just water dripping from the AC?

Last edited by Dawson; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:07 PM.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dawson is on a distinguished road
I had a chance to spray some engne degreaser around the area under the car where the leak was. Itís right at the rear engine mount. I hosed it down, drove a bit to warm up the engine and dry it off. I then placed cardboard underneath and sprayed Permatex Spray Sealer (82099) around the area above the mount. I gave it a good soaking while trying to avoid belts and pulleys. I let it dry a few minutes and repplied a few times. I also sprayed some around the power steering hose which had some sweats.

The car seemed to leak a bit still that evening, but the next day it was bone dry on the concrete! I donít know how long it will last, but Iím a happy camper so far.

Edit: Darn! Itís still leaking a few drops after a day or so. I might not have gotten all of it.
Edit once more... the leak on the driveway has evaporated so I wonder if it is water or coolant that is dripping?

Last edited by Dawson; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:20 PM.