oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Notices

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: EGR ? 1991 Trofeo

Old October 19th, 2014

alvissaladin is on a distinguished road
EGR ? 1991 Trofeo

May be I´m blind! Were in hell I can find the EGR on the 3.8 in my 1991 Trofeo?

I heard about a better running of the engine and no more "service engine soon" light if I cleaned this egr thing. On my 1988 Trofeo it is clearly visible near of the right valve cover. But on my 1991 tuned port one I cannot find it.

A picture would be great !

Old October 19th, 2014

1970cs is on a distinguished road
Old October 20th, 2014

Sorry 1970cs, your picture show the 3,8l till 1990 - like that one (VIN C) in my ´88 trofeo .
The 1991 Engine (VIN L ,3800 tuned port injection) has a very different intake and the egr is not at the former place:

I tried to understand the 1991-1992 emission controls and took my illustrated parts catalogue 1986-92 OLDSMOBILE "E" Toronado as a reference. If anyone own this helpfull book too: please look at page 3-40 at 3.000 group 1991-1992 E EMISSION CONTROLS-V6 3.8 (L27). It use 96 different parts but NO EGR is listened. Am I right?

regards
Roland

Last edited by alvissaladin; October 20th, 2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014

Gator is on a distinguished road
Your second picture doesn't quite show where the EGR should be. I think yours should be located next to the valve cover (on driver side). Look straight down and see if the connection to the exhaust header is there (or perhaps plugged in the case of an EGR delete).
Old October 21st, 2014

Cutlass350 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Your second picture doesn't quite show where the EGR should be. I think yours should be located next to the valve cover (on driver side). Look straight down and see if the connection to the exhaust header is there (or perhaps plugged in the case of an EGR delete).
Yup, from nalleyGMC:

It's part #515, on the right, near the top.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../19187311.html

What it should look like:
From RockAuto:
ACDELCO Part # 2142129 {#19187311}
VALVE,EGR 2 DOORS
$139.79

https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cat...O_2142129.html

Last edited by Cutlass350; October 21st, 2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old October 21st, 2014

Thanks for the replies, but again: original parts catalogue shows NO EGR for 1991 and 1992 Toronado engines.

My engine (original L27) has no fitting or any mounting for an EGR or the egr pipes or egr electrical connector and no pluged or closed (welded) hole in the exhaust pipes what could be an evidence for a former existed EGR.

Also I do not believe that a 3.8 would work with a (homemade) complete eleminated egr system.
The drawing from cutlass350 must shows a later engine (1993 up) or from another car. Drawing date shows 1994!

I m not the only last generation 91/92 toronado/trofeo owner in this forum, I guess. Friends, takes a closer look to your engines, please.

Roland

I found this answer in this thread http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/for...hp?f=12&t=6161

Just for note...

GM used the Tuned Port 3800 without an EGR from 1990( in some models ) to 1992... And the 3300 v6 from 1989-1993 also did not have an EGR..

Both of these engines passed emissions without the aid of EGR valves... But over a short time GM found that these engines were burning exhaust valves and cracking the tubular manifolds due to the higher combustion temperatures...

In 1993 GM reinstated the EGR Valve on the 3800 Vin L Tuned Port... The 3300 did not get the EGR as it was in its last year of production..

I have seen both the EGR'less 3800 and 3300 with Burnt valves.. This was not a Problem on the 3.8 Vin 3 or the 3800 Vin C as both of these had an EGR valve..

Last edited by alvissaladin; October 21st, 2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2014

Rocketguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Could it be something to do with your car being an export model?
Old October 22nd, 2014

Rocketguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvissaladin View Post
I heard about a better running of the engine and no more "service engine soon" light if I cleaned this egr thing.
You "heard about"?

I noticed that you make no mention of what exactly "this EGR thing" has to do with your SES light.

If your SES light is on have you found out why? Have you pulled the codes?

From the helpful posts it looks as though your car came w/o an EGR, therefore, could it even have a SES code for one?
Old October 23rd, 2014

@ rocketguy

Thanks for reply. The last generation toronado were never official exported to europe. It is one of these cars found the way to germany with privat shipment or as a leaved car from an american soldier. Also I believe it could be the only IV generation Trofeo in germany. I´m so happy that I´ve found it.

You are right - I haven´t checked any codes because I can not. The instrument cluster is dead ( I opened another thread some days before).
The engine starts and runs well, but it has an slightly rough idle with little missfire. Thats the reason why I hoped to clean the egr will fix it. I know - its like fumble around the dark.

Just ordered a working cluster at trofeoparts.com. Dave is very helpfull there.
So I hope to read the codes next time if the cluster arrive.
Old November 14th, 2014

goldsmobile is on a distinguished road
My belief / understanding is the 1991-92 does not use an EGR...