oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98)

Notices

Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98) Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98) based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Factory Security System Question

Old 2 Weeks Ago

MikeS is on a distinguished road
Factory Security System Question

The Ghostery menu icon has disappeared from my toolbar so until I find it I can't turn the ad blocker off.

This new-to-me '95 Regency Elite makes me turn the key ten or fifteen times before it engages the starter. I've been thinking I just need to put a new solenoid on the starter and have been ignoring the car since I bought it. At the dealers it started instantly when the key was turned but as soon as I got it home I started going through the turn the key fifteen times routine. I definitely don't want to wear out the ignition switch - that's a big job since the steering column has to come out to get to it - or so my shop told me when I took my '94 in several years ago because it locked up and wouldn't turn.

The few times that I have used the car, when I turn on the key there's a word called SECURITY on the digital dash, lit up like the check engine and other lights that go on and off when going through start up. Over on the CD player - stock radio but instead of having a cassette player it's got a CD player. The car is a year newer and is a Regency Elite instead of just a plain Regency like my '94, so it's got some different things about it. I'd hate to go through starter removal only to find out this key turning is a way of over-riding the factory security system.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? The '94 didn't have any extra security system in it, but this one does and I don't know how it works and it just may be the reason I'm having to turn the key so many times. I'll do some book reading but if anyone has been through this, please comment.

It's also got an electrical drain bad enough to run the battery flat in two or three days so that's something else to track down - I've been hoping it was a bad solenoid shorting out when the car sits, draining the battery. If that was the problem, I'd solve both of them at once but that would be just too easy. I leave the battery disconnected except for a rare occasion that I need to use the car. Normally I just use my motorcycle but sometimes the car is necessary.

I'd appreciate any comments regarding the factory installed security system the car has if anybody has any experience with it. It's related somehow to the CD player . . . I think . . . since a message pops up there too saying "anti-theft system".

I hope it's not an issue that only a dealer can fix.

Thanks,

Mike

[/FONT]

Old 2 Days Ago

D. Yaros is on a distinguished road
Does the owner manual discuss your situation? Sounds like the key you are using is not communicating with the ignition switch each/every time?

Might also try using google to research your problem?