oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Most Recent Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Alero

Notices

Oldsmobile Alero Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Alero based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Overheating troubles

Old May 17th, 2017

townclown is on a distinguished road
Overheating troubles

Hello to one and all and thanks for allowing me to join up.my first question(of many I'll bet)is I purchased this from my nephew and it's always overheating,the thermo.has been changed,there's the water in my oil,car runs great except for running kinda rough,but my main concern is the overheating problem,I know there are sensors that have something to do with this trouble,could it be those or maybe the radiator needs flushed,it's a great car except for a few minor problems,but the overheating is the major thing I only paid $750.00 for it but it's my only means of transportation thanks in advance and I hope someone can give me an insight of what to do

Old May 17th, 2017

Cutlass350 is on a distinguished road
See:
https://www.oldsmobileforums.com/for...ad.php?p=59097

Sounds like the head gasket is bad. If that's the case, since you're asking then you haven't done a head gasket job. The head gasket or replacement engine would be $3K++ to have done at a local garage. I would strongly suggest against someone doing a head gasket job on an aluminum engine unless they have a good deal of car repair experience and the RIGHT tools.

You do not see a lot of newbies that did head gasket jobs still on the forums after 1-2 years. There's a good reason for that. Doing a POS poor unacceptable head gasket job may result in the head gasket lasting for some amount of time and some amount of mileage. But, without doing things the proper way with the proper tools, it is just a matter of time before a repair job fails.

GM uses (and also sells) some BS ricer-crap ?pecan shells? to (imho) screw their customers by getting an engine with bad head gasket to work past the warranty period, before the engine fails completely.

You might get a year, You might 10K+ miles before the engine fails completely. Or, the engine might last only one more day and one more mile.

People on the forum have used that stuff before.
Like I said, the engine will still fail.
But, you might get some more time and mileage out of the engine.

Old May 18th, 2017

townclown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass350 View Post
See:
https://www.oldsmobileforums.com/for...ad.php?p=59097

Sounds like the head gasket is bad. If that's the case, since you're asking then you haven't done a head gasket job. The head gasket or replacement engine would be $3K++ to have done at a local garage. I would strongly suggest against someone doing a head gasket job on an aluminum engine unless they have a good deal of car repair experience and the RIGHT tools.

You do not see a lot of newbies that did head gasket jobs still on the forums after 1-2 years. There's a good reason for that. Doing a POS poor unacceptable head gasket job may result in the head gasket lasting for some amount of time and some amount of mileage. But, without doing things the proper way with the proper tools, it is just a matter of time before a repair job fails.

GM uses (and also sells) some BS ricer-crap ?pecan shells? to (imho) screw their customers by getting an engine with bad head gasket to work past the warranty period, before the engine fails completely.

You might get a year, You might 10K+ miles before the engine fails completely. Or, the engine might last only one more day and one more mile.

People on the forum have used that stuff before.
Like I said, the engine will still fail.
But, you might get some more time and mileage out of the engine.

Thanks Cutlass350,no I'm no mechanic but get around engines,but not on the newer ones,so it is something to really think about but as long as I keep water in it I should be ok until winter,thanks for your help