oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 90 Trofeo brake question

Old January 6th, 2013

LoganW20 is on a distinguished road
90 Trofeo brake question

This last time I drove my Trofeo I noticed when I started pressing down on my brake pedal I feel this continuous vibration on the pedal, I also have a fairly new accumulator so I don't think that should be it. Could someone help me out here and tell me what could possibly going wrong here, and if its something I should worry about? Thanks!

Old January 6th, 2013

retroren is on a distinguished road
I have experienced a vibration coming through the brake pedal due to warped front rotors. Also loose, broken or missing bushing, bolts and other steering related parts can send a shudder through the brake pedal. Hope this helps.
Old January 7th, 2013

I forgot to add that it vibrates a lot more when the car is in park and I just barely press down on the pedal... this really has me worried..
Old January 7th, 2013

Broken motor mount(s)? If the same sensation is coming through the pedal in park then something holding the engine or front end is transferring to the rotors/caliper then up to the brake pedal. Is it more pronounced when you are driving?
Old January 7th, 2013

I just noticed there's this loud buzzing notice right below the accumulator and this is actually draining my voltage quite a bit especially at a stop or braking at low speeds. So do you think this would be some kind of pump going bad? Seems like it to me but I'm not a mechanic or good with cars at all.
Old January 7th, 2013

Do you notice any momentary "hardness" feel to the brake pedal under normal braking? Maybe the electronically controlled booster is beginning to fail? Is your braking experience otherewise normal beyond the issues you have already mentioned? Do you know if you have the Teves brake system? The main clue is the Teves system has a black ball that is the accumulator.
Old January 7th, 2013

Yes its teves like I said before the buzzing is happening below the accumulator I had replaced the accumulator like 5 months ago. The braking seems normal but its just the pedal is vibrating while I brake and half the time my battery voltage is barely at 13 while I'm braking it even drops to 11 volts when I'm at a stop light. I have always had some kind of electrical short that i can't figure out but this new problem has been making it worse.
Old January 8th, 2013

Would you consider unplugging the ABS harness and going for a short test drive to see if the noise goes away and/or the voltage drain stops? Electrical drains can also be rooted in the serpentine belt, the tensioner or a failing alternator. Sorry I cannot be more specific. I'm just brainstorming.
Old January 8th, 2013

Where exactly is the ABS harness?
Old January 8th, 2013

Maybe it would wiser and safer to take it to the mechanic that installed the accumulator and explain this new development since it was installed. Also, you may want to order a service manual from ebay. They are about $15 and will provide you with tons of info.