oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Most Recent Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Intrigue

Oldsmobile Intrigue Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Intrigue based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 99 Intrigue 3.5 - Oil black after 200 miles

Old March 12th, 2019

djmiu is on a distinguished road
99 Intrigue 3.5 - Oil black after 200 miles

My 99 olds intrigue with the 3.5 DOHC at 315K on the original motor (I am the original owner) gets black after about 200 miles. I keep it well maintained and have recently changed air filter, pcv, cleaned intake, etc. I am using Pennzoil platinum synthetic 10w-30 usually high mileage. Throughout the life of the car, I have changed the oil between 2 and 3K using AC Delco oil filter only. In fact just this last time the oil change light came on at about 2800 miles, this is the first time I ever had it come on!

Motor runs fine and does not burn much oil at all. Is this just how it is after this many miles? Is there anything else I can do other than change the motor? Probably not worth it at this point

Old March 12th, 2019

C&C is on a distinguished road
Two leading contributors to oil getting black is heat cycles and soot. Did you just recently change to the Pennzoil synthetic; switching might have cleaned out residual carbon/soot. And don't just rely on color, unless your oil smells of gasoline, the oil is still functioning. The oil life monitor is a complex algorithm (using startups, length of run and other factors) but doesn't actually/physically look at the oil.
Old March 12th, 2019

01OldsIntrigueOwner is on a distinguished road
10W-30? The 3.5L DOHC engines use 5W-30.
Old March 13th, 2019

djmiu is on a distinguished road
Thanks, guys, yes I switched to Pennzoil synthetic 10w-30 from Mobil 1 10W-30 about 1.5 years ago, roughly 30K ago, as I have had better success with it in my Toyota Sienna also a 99, so I thought it might work better in the Olds as well. Not sure. And yes my 99 Intrigue calls for 10W-30 on the oil cap and in the manual. I will post a pic.

I have heard the Pennzoil does clean up better. The other thing is the Olds is getting a great deal more of short trips now as up until last year it was getting hard highway runs of 62 miles one way to work at high speeds often 80mph plus - IL tollways ...and mileage was alot better, maybe that has something to do with it...maybe i need to run it hard again !