oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Notices

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 1991 Trofeo Instrument Cluster Problem

Old January 21st, 2008

am7434 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1991 Trofeo Instrument Cluster Problem

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum so go easy on me! LOL! I am DESPARATE and REALLY need some help! I just bought a 1991 Toronado Trofeo with the normal dashboard (NOT the one with the VIC display.) Ever since I bought it, it had the classic Toronado "no gauges/no heat/tach only works" problem, so I bought a rebuilt repaired instrument cluster for a good price on Ebay (with a 3-year warranty) from a man who has repaired hundreds of these type of GM clusters. I installed the new one, and finally everything worked... BUT only for about 15 minutes! Then everything quit again and now I'm back to only three little dashes where the climate control display is, and have no heat, A/C, or gauges again. This leads me to believe that there is something ELSE causing this problem. Could it be the body control (BCM) module? I don't know, because the ABS DOES work! Is there some other thing which communicates between the instrument panel and the climate control panel? This is really confusing because I was convinced it was the "classic" bad gauge cluster. Does anyone have any other experience with these things? Thank you SO much for your help!

Old January 21st, 2008
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY has disabled reputation
Toronado does not have the touch pad on the dash. When starting up, the motor fires right up and runs fine. Everthing is normal for 3 sec. then the display for the a/c shows a couple dashs and the only gauge that works is the tach,also the info. center is blank. The car is drivable and runs fine. I tried disconnecting the battery,same problem. Tried starting up one last time last night and everthing worked, this morning same problem. 1991 Toro. Trofeo 50,000 miles,one of the nicest cars i've ever owned, any ideas?

response:

I'm not extremely fimilar with the Toro's but from my experince with newer cars, I say it needs a Body Control Module (BCM). Problem is I don't know if this car has one. If it doesn't then it could be a ground prob. If I remember I look it up in a service manual at work sometime soon.

Response:

Reply too...Toronado does not have the touch pad on the dash. When starting up, the motor fires right up and runs fine. Everthing is normal for 3 sec. then the display for the a/c shows a couple dashs and the only gauge that works is the tach,also the info. center is blank. The car is drivable and runs fine. I tried disconnecting the battery,same problem. Tried starting up one last time last night and everthing worked, this morning same problem. 1991 Toro. Trofeo 50,000 miles,one of the nicest cars i've ever owned, any ideas?

My Trofeo has the touch screen aka a VIC screen. So it is a touch screen. Anyways, most Toronado owners (86-92) will at some point have to have work done on your dash whether its the analog or digital version. There are many reasons for the problem to occur and let me tell you its not easy finding what your issue maybe exactly. If you want your dash to work again I suggest trying a few things before you get rid of the car. I suggest checking EBAY and bid or buy a rebuilt cluster. Or at least talk to the person who rebuilds the clusters to see if they can rebuild yours. Second, and this is where it got me, was the CPS. The CPS is a Central Power Supply. I have a 87 Toronado that had a good dash but a bad CPS. So I shipped off my cluster only to learn that wasnt the problem and I spent 70 dollars to have it looked at and that was it. I also have a 90 and I bought two working clusters and when I installed them neither of them worked. Both lessons learned and spent well.

The cluster uses 12 volts to light up your idiot lights, and it works the tach on the 90-92's analog dashes. It uses the CPS like a transformer to give the dash either 5 volts or 7 volts depending on your model. The BCM may lose contact talking to your Cluster, however that is most likey caused by the BCM not getting the 5 to 7 volts it needs to run other systems in your car. Yes the BCM recieved power off the CPS.

If you spend about 20 dollars and buy your own shop manual on Ebay you can learn so much about the cars and then stop making yourself look like a fool when you are trying to fix these fine auto's.

If you take out your cluster your heater controls may work if it is indeed your dash and not the CPS causing the issue. Run a google search for MR Whizard and he can assist you further to help you fix your dash issue!

TROFEO's ROCK!

RANSOM ELI OLDS REINCARNATED
Old January 22nd, 2008

ItwasMyFathersOldsmobile is on a distinguished road
Dash

My 92 Trofeo lost the console, back then it was hard to find. Now it's not so bad. I do have a touch screen and it does have a BCM, the diagnostics in the car read ECM, BCM, CRT when scanned. Without the screen this feature isn't available to you.
The manual is a good idea.
Old January 24th, 2008

am7434 is on a distinguished road
Hello again everyone! Well, I finally got the gauges and heat to work-- for the time being... I had to reset the BCM by taking the fuse out... I have no idea why that worked, but I drove the car for 2 hours and everything seemed to work, EXCEPT the dash/climate control/PRNDL21 lights. I've read that a bad Twilight Sentinel sensor could cause this. Anyone else have any other ideas??

Thanks in Advance!
Old February 23rd, 2008

BuickTurbo6 is on a distinguished road
I had the same Issue as you when I replaced the Twilight sensor all work fine again..

I might have an extra kicking around... I will look but they are cheap from the dealer and are easy to replace...
I have an extra Cluster (Fixed) from a 92. Also have the Tail light assemby and some other parts...

(on a side note the fix for the cluster is almost alway's a Capacitor inside the cluster. Cost is about a doller for the part and about 1/2 hour to replace...)
I can dig up the instructions if anyone needs send me a mail...

Mark
Old October 2nd, 2017

rogue59 is on a distinguished road
I'm looking for suggestions regarding this post (see link below). I have a 1992 Trofeo with a rebuilt cluster, but after plugging the cluster back in, it still does not want to fire up, nor do the dash lights. I still get the classic defrost ON, -40, tach and signals working in the cluster; that's it. and, I note in the reply that it is said it could be the Central Power Supply. I didn't know the '92s had CPS's. I am ALSO curious about the ground connections, but am not sure where the particular connections would be that I should check.

you say in this post I refer to below that the BCM may lose contact talking with the cluster and that it may be because it is not getting the 5 to 7 volts it needs to run other systems in my car. if the '92 has a CPS, where is it located?

the particular post I'm referring to is contained in this link; hopefully you can retrieve it here:

https://oldsmobileforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6531?

could it also be the ECM from your experience? I ask because I used an OBD1 code reader and got two GM codes; 12 & 47 which both point to theECM:
Code 12) Diagnostic mode; no distributor signal to Electronic Control Module; System PASS;
Code 47) Electronic Control Module (ECM) circuit fault - asynchronous receiver/transmitter.

would be curious to hear/read your thoughts/experience re: this issue (frustration). an in the process of looking into getting a shop manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY View Post
Toronado does not have the touch pad on the dash. When starting up, the motor fires right up and runs fine. Everthing is normal for 3 sec. then the display for the a/c shows a couple dashs and the only gauge that works is the tach,also the info. center is blank. The car is drivable and runs fine. I tried disconnecting the battery,same problem. Tried starting up one last time last night and everthing worked, this morning same problem. 1991 Toro. Trofeo 50,000 miles,one of the nicest cars i've ever owned, any ideas?

response:

I'm not extremely fimilar with the Toro's but from my experince with newer cars, I say it needs a Body Control Module (BCM). Problem is I don't know if this car has one. If it doesn't then it could be a ground prob. If I remember I look it up in a service manual at work sometime soon.

Response:

Reply too...Toronado does not have the touch pad on the dash. When starting up, the motor fires right up and runs fine. Everthing is normal for 3 sec. then the display for the a/c shows a couple dashs and the only gauge that works is the tach,also the info. center is blank. The car is drivable and runs fine. I tried disconnecting the battery,same problem. Tried starting up one last time last night and everthing worked, this morning same problem. 1991 Toro. Trofeo 50,000 miles,one of the nicest cars i've ever owned, any ideas?

My Trofeo has the touch screen aka a VIC screen. So it is a touch screen. Anyways, most Toronado owners (86-92) will at some point have to have work done on your dash whether its the analog or digital version. There are many reasons for the problem to occur and let me tell you its not easy finding what your issue maybe exactly. If you want your dash to work again I suggest trying a few things before you get rid of the car. I suggest checking EBAY and bid or buy a rebuilt cluster. Or at least talk to the person who rebuilds the clusters to see if they can rebuild yours. Second, and this is where it got me, was the CPS. The CPS is a Central Power Supply. I have a 87 Toronado that had a good dash but a bad CPS. So I shipped off my cluster only to learn that wasnt the problem and I spent 70 dollars to have it looked at and that was it. I also have a 90 and I bought two working clusters and when I installed them neither of them worked. Both lessons learned and spent well.

The cluster uses 12 volts to light up your idiot lights, and it works the tach on the 90-92's analog dashes. It uses the CPS like a transformer to give the dash either 5 volts or 7 volts depending on your model. The BCM may lose contact talking to your Cluster, however that is most likey caused by the BCM not getting the 5 to 7 volts it needs to run other systems in your car. Yes the BCM recieved power off the CPS.

If you spend about 20 dollars and buy your own shop manual on Ebay you can learn so much about the cars and then stop making yourself look like a fool when you are trying to fix these fine auto's.

If you take out your cluster your heater controls may work if it is indeed your dash and not the CPS causing the issue. Run a google search for MR Whizard and he can assist you further to help you fix your dash issue!

TROFEO's ROCK!
Old October 3rd, 2017
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY has disabled reputation
I cut and pasted that reply for someone else. He has experience I do not have. That was not me. I know I had the light issue and I replaced that sensor as the guy said above it resolved my issue. I did replace an entire cluster on a previous Toronado I owned. That solved that cars issues. I did buy the Toronado service manual as he suggested. It is true what he says. They are Ebay all the time.

RANSOM ELI OLDS REINCARNATED
Old October 28th, 2017

rogue59 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickTurbo6 View Post
I had the same Issue as you when I replaced the Twilight sensor all work fine again..

I might have an extra kicking around... I will look but they are cheap from the dealer and are easy to replace...
I have an extra Cluster (Fixed) from a 92. Also have the Tail light assemby and some other parts...

(on a side note the fix for the cluster is almost alway's a Capacitor inside the cluster. Cost is about a doller for the part and about 1/2 hour to replace...)
I can dig up the instructions if anyone needs send me a mail...

Mark
curious to hear more about this twilight sensor. I pulled mine and it works the same whether in or out. so far my only issue appears to be that I get no dash lights. hoping my cluster works as it wad just repaired.