oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > General Discussion > Oldsmobile Forums Suggestion Box

Oldsmobile Forums Suggestion Box Have an idea on how to make this forum better? Tell us about it in here. If you own an Oldsmobile model that's not listed here, please let us know and we'll get it started for you. I know there are many, many Oldsmobile models not currently listed. I

Oldsmobile Forum: Fwd/rwd

Old November 10th, 2005
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Sal Collaziano has disabled reputation
Fwd/rwd

I'd like to add the years to our new sections because some people don't know which type of car they have.. What year start FWD for the Cutlass and 88?

Thank you...

Old November 10th, 2005
The Topless Administrator

jeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond repute
Cutlass Supremes became FWD in '88 (w-body platform), although you could still get a 1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic (g-body platform) in '88 too.
Old November 10th, 2005
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Hmm.. Well that makes things a little confusing. Maybe I shouldn't put years for the Cutlass.. How about the 88? Anybody know?

I took care of the remaining posts in the Cutlass forum. If you see that I've made a mistake, please let me know or move the topic(s) if you can..

I'd like to take care of the 88 section as well but I don't want to go moving things around without being sure which years are what...
Old November 10th, 2005

davedbusman is on a distinguished road
In case you didn't see my post in the 88 section: last year for RWD Delta 88 was 1985.
Old November 10th, 2005

thejmfc
If/when you decide to split the 98 forum, I believe that '84 was the last RWD, and '85 the first FWD.
Old November 10th, 2005

I agree with thejmfc.
Old November 11th, 2005

DrRansom442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejmfc
If/when you decide to split the 98 forum, I believe that '84 was the last RWD, and '85 the first FWD.
in true Olds fashion the Delta was availible in 85 as both a RWD and a FWD. A buddy of mine had a rwd 85 Delta two door
Old November 12th, 2005

Was the FWD in '85 available as an '86 model?
Old November 13th, 2005
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

I'll get all of this taken care of as soon as I can. Just keep the information coming. I'll use it all...
Old November 13th, 2005
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY has disabled reputation
Okay a run down on Oldsmobile.

The 98 went fwd in the spring of 84 as an early 85.

The 88 went fwd in the fall of 85 as a 86.

The Toronado was always fwd since 1966. The 88 and Toronado were introduced the same year in 1985 as 1986 models with new designs.

The Cutlass went fwd in the fall of 87 as an 88, but the rwd Cutlass hung around as Cutlass Supreme Classic.

The 1983 98 was the same as the 1984 RWD Ninety Eight other than one small thing.. The front turn signals went from white and orange to solid orange.

The Toronado was upsized in the fall of 1989 as a 1990 and died in 1992

The 98 was upsized in the fall of 1990 as a 1991
The 88 was upsized in the fall of 1991 as a 1992
The Touring Sedan ran from 1987 to 1993.

The Custom Cruiser was the only fullsized Oldsmobile that did not go fwd. It used the same styling from 1980 to 1990 and was totally redesigned in 1990 as a 1991 model with Caprice. It came in second in the car of the year contest too.

Inside the late to mid 80's the Custom Cruiser dash plaque said "Eighty Eight". I do not recall which year the plaques started saying "Custom Cruiser".

The rear drive Cutlass Supreme got flush headlamps in 1987. The Custom Cruiser never got them until the redesign in 1990. The Custom Cruiser also recycled old 98 rwd 98 Regency front ends from 1987-1990.

When the 98 and 88 were facelifted for 1994, they shared a lot of parts with the brand new "1995" Aurora which replaced Toronado.

GM and Oldsmobile had considered putting the Cadillac 4.9 liter V8 in the 98 around 1994. Cadillac was switching to the Northstar V8 for all its cars, and Oldsmobile was going to make use of the V8 engine.

If Aurora had lived, it would have been rear drive.

RANSOM ELI OLDS REINCARNATED