oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98)

Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98) Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (98) based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Post your 98's miles!

Old April 24th, 2010

Royale is on a distinguished road
The only thing I can think of that these cars have been parked due to engine problems (besides idiots that "blew them up" because they could) is the hydroing of the series II NA engines due to manifold gasket failure and the very early 3.8's due to wore out timing gear and disintigration of the nylon toothed timing gears.

So mileage on solid survivers has never bothered me, most have been junked due to rust out, fuel/brake lines/tank, accidents, transmission and the way some people view the "value" of a car. If the cars "only books" for 1000 and it needs 1000 tranny they decide to spend 10,000 on the next car and junk the Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac instead. The early anti lock brake systems sent many to the yard as well because people couldnt afford to fix them or have enough brains to eliminate them and transfer non anti lock systems over.

Then it depends whos working on a car too, most mechanics ream customers so bad they just hate their cars and are scared to death of them. Problem is most just move on to the next "piece of junk" and start all over on a car they know nothing about. I like mine because I know them inside and out and they never scare me. I know whats getting wore out long before I need to replace it.

Old April 27th, 2010

tonkinz is on a distinguished road
I have a 1989 98 Regency. It has 77k original miles. I replaced the brake lines, all 4 brakes and rotors, new Yokohama Avids, converted the rear air shocks to passive shocks, stock stereo. Body is in good shape, no rust, a few dings and the clearcoat is peeling in the roof as well as the headliner sag normal for these cars.
Old April 30th, 2010

tipsymcstager is on a distinguished road
hi, new here so...........this is one of mine. picked it up this jan.
1995, all stock,all the toys but the XM,and 6 new speakers, sun roof,digital dash,TC(killer in the snow)(stock)CD & tape player,blue int, needs rear struts(lol) 110,500 ml new motor at 109,000 (oil pump (i guess?) went on the hiway don't know why, never heard of that in a 3800 with just over a hundred) but by the time i got to the side of the road it was toast!

also have a "95" but red int,(no sun roof) with 145,500 on it
with a rod knock owned that one for the last seven years (put 60 grand on that OD)

Old April 30th, 2010

MikeS is on a distinguished road
Odd that you have such severe problems with the Series II. Other than the intake manifold problem, they are on somebody's list (forgot who's) as one of the 10 best U.S. engines ever built.

As for the pic posting problem, it might be because it exceeds the KB limit. The easiest way that I've found (I'm sure there are other ways just as easy) is to use IrfanView (free, and a great photo editor) to re-size the photo. Irfanview has a plug-in at their site that installs effortlessly that allows you to simply specify the size you want the picture to resize to.
Old April 30th, 2010
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Odd that you have such severe problems with the Series II. Other than the intake manifold problem, they are on somebody's list (forgot who's) as one of the 10 best U.S. engines ever built.

As for the pic posting problem, it might be because it exceeds the KB limit. The easiest way that I've found (I'm sure there are other ways just as easy) is to use IrfanView (free, and a great photo editor) to re-size the photo. Irfanview has a plug-in at their site that installs effortlessly that allows you to simply specify the size you want the picture to resize to.

It was Ward's ten best engines. It was for several years. The 3800 was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines of the 20th century list, and is one of the most-produced engines in history. To date, over 25 million have been produced.

Production of the 3800 V6 engine officially ended on Friday, August 22, 2008 when plant 36 was closed. There was a closing ceremony and speakers who extolled the virtues of the engine. Originally GM had set this date for January 1, 1999; however, due to the vast number of complaints from both investors and customers because of the popularity and reliability of the engine, the date was extended. At the end of production, the LZ4 3500 OHV V6 replaced the naturally aspirated 3800 applications, and the LY7 3600 DOHC V6 replaced the supercharged 3800 applications

RANSOM ELI OLDS REINCARNATED
Old April 30th, 2010

looks like they posted!
don't think i gave it enough time,moderator feel free to delete the 2nd posting

ya,don't know why the motor went after only 100 grand, just one
of those thing's i guess.
a head after 145 or so i can understand, but i'll still stack up the GM 3800
as a great engine. right up there with the likes of the 225ci slant six & the
300ci (ford) inline six.
Old April 30th, 2010

anti-freeze in the oil, over extended oil changes or severe overheating, lack of oil are the only things that should take out a bearing in a 38

That 47 is a small filter and too many miles will make it hit the bypass sending unfiltered oil into the journals. All 38 should run the PF52, its bigger and it fits, 6000 mile on Mobile 1 and your golden. I use ONLY AC delco filters and only PF52's. Rapid jiffy lubes are not wise, they forget to tighten oil plug, over tighten them stripping them out, use cheap filters and cheap oil. 50% of the worlds mechanics out there believe highly in job security as well, rice mentality also reeks havoc on domestic cars, if your mechanic is young and drives rice, they hate your car, find a new mechanic.

My tips for today
Old April 30th, 2010

PS - The black on white car looks good but the black appears to be done with a computor tool.
Old May 1st, 2010

BUSTED...........................LOL!

it is! good eye.
i was trying out different colors on the plastic belt molding.
tryed a light blue to match the int.
didn't like that. tryed a light like factory gray.
didn't like that ether, so black it was!

the original the white on white, just don't stand out for me.

one week later after purchase, painted. (no really lol)

Old May 1st, 2010

LOL.................busted!

ya, i was trying out different colors on the bottom belt line.
tryed a lite blue to match the int, didn't like it.
tryed the lite gray and well........., it looks very elegant
like the one on the manual,but thats not what i was looking for.

(say that clear hood is kind'a cool i wonder if that was a factory optionLOL)

this is the original pic when i purchased it.

kind of plain and lacking that white on white, i think the black looks shall
we say "more manly" imo.

i was thinking of blacking out the grill and the space between the tail lights
what'ya think?

as you can see i did paint the belt line black, i like it.

but to do the chrome right it would need to be striped first. and thats a drag!
i'd leave the fins in the openings chrome like the pic i did