oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Oldsmobile Etcetera > Oldsmobile Infotainment and Security Systems

Oldsmobile Infotainment and Security Systems Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile infotainment and security system based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: OE CD Player

Old November 3rd, 2005
Mike L

OE CD Player

I am wanting to replace the OE radio/tape player in a 94 Achieva with the OE radio/CD player. Anyone know the correct model/PN I should be looking for? I know what the face looks like from the manual-the CD player is at the bottom, the display is top right. I see a few on ebay but they are all different PNs. Thanks for any help.

Old November 3rd, 2005
The Topless Administrator

jeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond repute
I am not sure of the part number, but it really shouldn't matter as long as it is from the same generation and the connectors in the back are the same.
Old November 14th, 2005

Mike_L. is on a distinguished road
OE CD Player

I checked with the dealer today and they told me the PN for the OE radio/CD player for the 93-94 Achieva was 16170223. I've seen a lot of players with different PNs on ebay lately and except for a couple of cosmetic features, they all look the about the same to include the connector array on the back. Of all the near matches, there were 4 identical matches but with all different PNs. Why there are so many identical radios with different PNs, only Delco would know for sure.

Thought I'd pass that on. Thanks for the advice Jeremy, I suspect they all would probably work, too.
Old November 17th, 2005

Rocketguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Too Many NUmbers!

There are a gillion variables, that is why all the different numbers.

There are:

Different LED display colors. Pontiac used red, Olds used teal, Buick used amber, Chevie another color...... If you don't get the right one it will not match the rest of your IP.

Different steering wheel controls. If you get the wrong part number yours will not work if you are lucky enough to have them.

Some don't even have the plug for steering wheel controls, others will have the plug but with different pins in the plug.

Different display dim settings. The dimming is connected to the HVAC in cars so equipped. If you get the wrong part number your radio or your heat control display will not dim when you turn the lights on.

Different display lighting, meaning some have different..... some will display the button lights and some will not.

Even though they all have the same 20 pin connector on the back, and they have the button for steering wheel controls, it may not work in your car.

Now, chances are that the radio may play correctly if it has the same 20 pin plug on the back, but some of the above stuff wont work right if you have it or the display will be different. I have a late 90s deck in my 90 Eighty Eight and it works well, and the button lights work, but my heat control display does not dim when I turn the lights on and I do not have steering wheel controls. It was an easy bolt in/plug in except I had to fabricate some front mounting brackets.

Pretty tough and complicated, isn't it? Many people are looking to upgrade thier factory cassette to a CD but they were relatively rare in the late 80s nd early 90s so they are hard to come buy, and GM did not make it easy for us. I have found all of this out over the past 2 years just by trial and error and my own research.

I bought this one for my Ninety Eight, which has steering wheels controls and electronic climate control so all of the above stuff had to be right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

The car came from the factory with a CD player but the owner took it to the dealer and had it swapped out for a cassette! UGH! The deck bolted right in and all of variables I described above worked just as it should. So I thought. The first time I drove it at night I realized that the buttons do not light up : (

When it comes to getting part numbers and finding cross referrances as to what numbers will work for what I have gotten to a big dead end and a strike out. Electronic stores etc. either do not know or are not willing to take the time to cross referrance the radios for me. If you find a reliable source, please help us all and reveal it!

Good Luck, it is not easy to find the exact part number you need.

Last edited by Rocketguy; November 17th, 2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old November 17th, 2005

jeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond repute
Rocketguy: I hate to burst your bubble, but you have made your radio search WAY more difficult then it really is.

The problem with your car is the wiring of putting a newer style deck with different wiring/features and more importantly from a different era in your car. In order to get the dimmer/lights to work with the newer deck pictured above you would have to change the wiring a little bit.

I can promise the original poster if they buy a CD deck from the same year/make/model as their car that it will work perfectly regardless of what the PN is.
Old November 17th, 2005

Cd

Hello Jeremy,
Thanks for the quick reply!

The newer deck in the picture works well with no problems as stated. All I had to do was plug it in.

Man do I wish it were as easy as just getting the deck with the right part number. The thing that made it so difficult to put the one in the other car I have with the steering wheel controls and ECC is that they are non existant! I searched high and low for 2 years before I found the as close as possible one that I have. I feel very lucky to have gotten it. It is like NOS chrome for a '65 442, it is just NOT out there. When ever I saw a company on ebay that was selling them I emailed them and asked if they had my particular deck. They never do. I still look nearly every day on eaby and I still have not seen one.

Another problem is cost. I have the correct CD deck from the factory in my '90 TS. I had to have the CD drive replaced in it because it did not work. A place here in Detroit called SPECMO quoted me a price of over $400 for the repair, and I had to pay a non refundable deposit of $40 just to have them tell me what it needed. I found another place that did it for $225. Most of the used decks I have seen for sale from the late 80s early 90s era also have faulty CD decks. So even if you find the right one chances are you'll end up replacing the CD drive. They must not have been of very good quality.

Are you saying I can switch a wire around and have my buttons light up? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Rocketguy; November 17th, 2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old November 21st, 2005

rocketguy: get the wiring diagram for you car and the wiring diagram for the radio that you bought and you should be able to figure out how to make it so that everything works correctly.
Old November 21st, 2005

Wiring Diagrams

Hello Jeremy,
You have made some significan claims in this post, but you don't seem to provide anything substantial to back up your claims. I have a service manual that tells how the car is wired, but it does not provide the information you claim will assist me. That would be great if you could get me that information on the different radios, that would really help me out a lot. Do you have it?
Old February 18th, 2006

phughes69 is on a distinguished road
OE CD Player

RocketGuy: I also have a Olds touring sedan. 1989 vintage and am having the same problem as you. The car came with a Bose AM/FM/Cassatte and I am trying to find a factory CD player that will work with the steering wheel controls. To date the only thing I have found is using a radio from those early (1987-1992) years. I have tried a radio out of a 1998 pontiac sunfire, but it would not work with the steering wheel controls. It seems the data stream from the steering wheel to the radio is different between the 2 radios. Have your tried hooking up the late model radio you show in the picture in your regency to the steering wheel controls in your TS?
Old February 21st, 2006

Greetings and Controls!

Hello phughes69,
You are a very lucky man to own an Oldsmobile Touring Sedan!

Welcome to Oldsmobile Forums!

I am mighty glad you joined! Don't forget to check out the user CP page and set up your preferrances
I welcome your conversation and input here.

I bought that later model deck for my Eighty Eight because the car did not have steering wheel controls. It has the SWC plug on the back, but I pretty well knew it would not work with them so I have not tried to hook it up in the Ninety Eight to see if it would. That deck has an automatic volume control too, but of coarse it does not work in the 88 because there is no speed sensor wire in the harness.

They are so hard to find for our cars because they are VERY rare!

Think of it this way:
SWCs were only available on Regency Brougham (VIN CW). In '89 there were 48,726 Regency Broughams built. It is my guestimate that about 1 out of every 30 of those Ninety Eights had SWCs, making about 1624 cars. Then I would guess that about one out of every 100 of those had a CD deck. If you do the math, that makes my guess about 16 cars! :doh: That is why it is nearly impossible to find the deck we need. A CD may have been available in a VIN CX (not a brougham) or CW car W/O SWCs, and that deck may have been the same deck and will work with or W/O SWCs, I do not know. And I could be way off, but even if there were several hundred built with a CD they would be very rare.

See how complicated it gets? Then you could get even more complicated and guess weather a car with or without Automatic Climate Control had a different deck too because of the way it dims the display when you turn the headlamps on. My guess is that they would have made it as simple as possible, and used a CD radio with one part number for all of the applications, and it worked for all options (or lack of them) available. That would make the number of a few hundred built seem more acutate. But again, it's just a guess.

I recently bought one from a '90 Custom Cruiser. From the front and rear it looks exatcly the same. I got it cheap cuz the CD deck is bad, but I thought if it was the correct deck for the TS it would be worth it to get it and repair it. I still have not tried it because the number of pins in the SWC plug is different, plus I have not had one of the cars apart to try it.

I am pretty sure that our cars radios for the '89 and 90 model years are the same. Everything in that original post of mine is true. All of those varaibles need to be met for the whole system to work as intended. In 3 years, I have seen ONE '90 TS CD deck come up in ebay, and someone snached it up via Buy it Now for $150.

How do you like your TS? Do you have any pictures?