oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile 442

Notices

Oldsmobile 442 Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile 442 based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Is the Hurst Olds 442 the Fastest Muscle Car?

Old December 13th, 2005

Yogi442
the problem here is first, there is no such thing as a Hurst Olds 442. These were two totally seperate cars. As for the 69 442, there was no 455 available in 69 for the 442. Only the Hurst Olds had 455's for that year of the 2. The 455 was not available in the 442 til 1970.
As for the original definition of muscle cars, you are right. That was the original criteria but over the years this appears to have changed when so many publications and TV started including the Vette, Mustangs etc into the mix and referring to all as musclecars.

Old December 13th, 2005

britishrebel04 is on a distinguished road
You're right. My '69 442 has a '71 455 put into it. I don't know where my head was thinking it had that stock in 1969.
Old December 14th, 2005

jacke chilson is an unknown quantity at this point
The best car among the muscle cars according to one shootout i seen was a 71 chevelle ss. The 71 cutlass came in 2nd mostly because they judged overall and the chevelle had front disc and the olds had drums. Another one i seen had cameros and mustangs the only requirement was they had to be original big blocks. The chevelle ss came out number one because the lil cars overmotored could not handle a slalom at speed.
Old December 14th, 2005

Yogi442
Quote:
Originally Posted by britishrebel04
You're right. My '69 442 has a '71 455 put into it. I don't know where my head was thinking it had that stock in 1969.
I can relate, my 66 442 no longer has the 400 but a 68 Hurst Olds 455. So naturally it does draw some more attention than the stock ones only to see if it is quicker, which it is but the 400 was a great motor and geared properly was in 66 probably the quickest true muscle car that year.
Old December 16th, 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacke chilson
The best car among the muscle cars according to one shootout i seen was a 71 chevelle ss. The 71 cutlass came in 2nd mostly because they judged overall and the chevelle had front disc and the olds had drums. Another one i seen had cameros and mustangs the only requirement was they had to be original big blocks. The chevelle ss came out number one because the lil cars overmotored could not handle a slalom at speed.
Hey hey! Thats really great to find out seeing as I should have a 71 Chevelle by this time next year! My Chevelle has the original 355 big block.

Jessi
Old December 16th, 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi442
I can relate, my 66 442 no longer has the 400 but a 68 Hurst Olds 455. So naturally it does draw some more attention than the stock ones only to see if it is quicker, which it is but the 400 was a great motor and geared properly was in 66 probably the quickest true muscle car that year.
The muscle that was put into these incredible beasts is so great! Its no wonder the dealerships are trying to go back to the looks of the "original" muscle cars. With the exception of the new GTOs and the Chargers they are doing pretty well with the Mustangs (even though I'm NOT a Ford fan) and the new Challenger.
Old December 17th, 2005

Yogi442
Quote:
Originally Posted by britishrebel04
Hey hey! Thats really great to find out seeing as I should have a 71 Chevelle by this time next year! My Chevelle has the original 355 big block.

Jessi
I have never heard of Chevrolet engine 355 big block. The big blocks I know about for late 60's and early 70's were 396, 427 and 454. Chevelle SS did have a 350 small block available and Chevy did have a small block 400 that was avaialble in many of the wagons but I have never heard of a 355. Was this a Canada car like the Beaumont?
Old December 18th, 2005

It was a small block, I have no idea where my head is. I don't have it yet, a cousin of mine does, so I don't know everything about it so far. But from what I've been told, it has a 355 small block in it. It may be a Canada car, but I'm not quite sure. I'm going to check it out in April and we'll see whats really under the hood.
Old December 18th, 2005

Yogi442
I know the Chevelle SS came with a 350 small block so most likely that is what is in it. I have never heard of a 355. Chev years ago had a 348 but have just never heard of a 355. Good luck on the car when you get it.
Old December 18th, 2005

That may be it, it mamy be a 350 small block. I can only go off of what I'm told but if you haven't heard of a 355 than it's probably the 350. I'll find out in April! :-)