oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile 442

Notices

Oldsmobile 442 Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile 442 based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 1968 442

Old December 13th, 2012

kansjfr is on a distinguished road
1968 442

My best friend of all time has a 68 442 convertible he bought brand new in June 1968, when we were running buddies. We chased alot of girls in that car, and actually caught a few. Most escaped, though. It's been stored inside all of its life but has two little spots of rust behind each rear wheel at the bottom. The interior is perfect and has the tick-tock tach, bucket seats, and the wood steering wheel and and an AM radio, but no console. When he ordered it, he tried to get AC, but the dealer told him it wasn't available in the convertible. He recently told me he's tired of storing it, and is fulfilling his promise of giving it to me so I can pass it on to my son (my friend never married and has no kids). Is there a good restoration manual? It probably hasn't been started in about 20 years, and has 94k original miles on it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Lucky me!

Old December 13th, 2012

lshlsh2 is on a distinguished road
You want to get a chassis service manuel for 1968. You can find on ebay fairly cheaply 35-$50. Fusick's is good for parts. You are going to want to change all fluids, belts, hoses, brakes and hoses. When you get into it you will find the rust is worse than you think. Also check out www.classicoldsmobile.com there are some threads there that talk about starting engines that have been sitting for a long time.
Sounds like a great car to start with. Hope you have alot of fun rebuilding it with your son. I know I am having fun with my son and my 71 convertible.

Larry
Old December 14th, 2012

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the tips. I've always loved that car and the memories it contains. I hope I'm a worthy owner.
Old May 31st, 2013

Just picked up the 442 over memorial day weekend. It is in much better shape than I remembered, always garaged, but it hasn't been on the road since 1983. I guess I'll start with replacing fluids, hoses, belts, brake lines, etc. I really have a sentimental attachment to this car, I'm honored that my best friend decided to give it to me.
Old June 2nd, 2013

Rocketguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansjfr View Post
Just picked up the 442 over memorial day weekend. It is in much better shape than I remembered, always garaged, but it hasn't been on the road since 1983. I guess I'll start with replacing fluids, hoses, belts, brake lines, etc. I really have a sentimental attachment to this car, I'm honored that my best friend decided to give it to me.

Lucky you is right!

Any chance we can see some pics?
Old June 3rd, 2013

Yeah, my kid took pics with his cell phone. I'll see if he can post the pics here, or email them or text them to me and I'll try to post them. He's on his way to OKC tonight where he lives. We were in KC attending my dad's funeral. When he gets to where he can get me the pics, I'll get them on here if I can figure out how. I'm really excited about getting it going again. It's Saffron Yellow with a black top, but in the pics the top appears to be brown because of all the dust on it.
Old June 15th, 2013

Hope I got the pics loaded...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68 olds small 9.jpg (87.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 69 olds 2 small.jpg (92.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg olds 68 4 small.jpg (94.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 68 olds small 1.jpg (98.0 KB, 20 views)
Old June 15th, 2013

Rocketguy is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks like a very nice car!

Thanks for the pics.
Old June 18th, 2013

Thanks, I'm really excited, but debating whether to keep it original (drum brakes or upgrade to discs, etc.) or do some upgrades to it. My kid, who knows he's going to get it eventually, wants me to upgrade, but I'm undecided, as it's original only once.
Old July 25th, 2013

67Cutlass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansjfr View Post
Thanks, I'm really excited, but debating whether to keep it original (drum brakes or upgrade to discs, etc.) or do some upgrades to it. My kid, who knows he's going to get it eventually, wants me to upgrade, but I'm undecided, as it's original only once.
True it's only original once, but the 68 442 did have optional front disk brakes. I think this is perfectly acceptical upgrade. If nothing more than the safety of disk brakes.