oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile 442

Notices

Oldsmobile 442 Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile 442 based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Need advice

Old February 3rd, 2011

Rocketguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, the frame and suspension components were satin black. Incidently, there is a difference between semi gloss, semi flat, and eggshell. Further, I have heard gloss levels referred to as percentages and even letter designations such as "G" gloss. The reason I say this is so you are not confused when someone tells you one of the above is what your parts are supposed to be. When all is said and done if your parts are some form of semi gloss black they will be accepted by the vast majority as correctly restored.

I have used Rustolem with great success on my stuff too, but, it only holds up extremely well when it is baked. Pick up an old dishwasher or oven on Craigslist and use it to bake your painted parts, you'll be very please with the results. In fact, if you use gloss paint and bake it it dies back just enough to look like a lot of factory finishes. Try it on some stuff and experiment a little. The best thing about Rustolem is that the price is right!

The problem with the above is that it is difficult to bake large parts like a frame, so, I would not use it on a frame.

__________________________________________________ ______

The basis of paint products can be sumarized into two categories:

Thermoplastic, and Thermoset.

Only Thermoset products are catalyzed. Catalyzed products entail two separate products mixing together to produce a third product. To make a long story short, Thermoplastics will come apart when confronted with things like gasoline, brake/other hydrolic fluid, etc. Thermosets will not come apart.

I know themosets are more expensive, more difficult to apply, and potentially more dangerous to humans/animals, but the bottom line is this: If you use Rustolem, anything lacquer, or any spray can and you get one of the above contaminants on it it is very likely to come apart. If that happens, you will be cursing yourself because you did not use a high quality catalyzed product. Try repairing the paint your frame where brake fluid took it off after your car is assembled! Trust me, you don't want to do that. You want to do this ONCE and then do nothing but enjoy it for ever and ever amen. Another bonus to using high quality paints is that the yielded finish can get dirty/contaminated by tons of stuff hundreds of times, and all you will have to do is clean it back up.

One other thing to keep in mind is that our cars are comprised of many different componets (in this case painted ones) and most of them were painted in different places at different times and even with different paint (usually dipped), even if they are all black. So, slightly different shades and gloss levels are not only accepted they are expected.

Take a good look at these pics of my '65. All of those gloss levels/shades are painstakingly intentional to duplicate OE. I used factory Oldsmobile photographs from the assembly line for reference.

We'll talk about primers another day

Old February 3rd, 2011

Strong455
Thanks

I have used rustoleum as well, on my 71 with very good results, I hear that Por 15 also makes a chassis black. I may be making to big of a deal out of this, going to drive myself nuts. Thanks for the links. By the way, If I find a dishwasher big enough for my frame I'll send you some pics. Have a great day, guys.
God, I love this website!

Randy

Last edited by Strong455; March 1st, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2011

Strong455
A few more pics

The skin is finally growing back on my knuckles.

Randy

Last edited by Strong455; March 1st, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old February 4th, 2011

Wow!

When you said you were restoring the car you really meant it.

Thanks for the post Randy, and keep us informed. We will help you out all we can. Not to mention cheer you on :cheers:
Old February 5th, 2011

Strong455
Another aircleaner ?

OKAy,

I see in all of the reproduction catalogs, two different types of decal for the Ultra High Compression label on the air cleaner. Which one is correct for the 64 442? I assumed it was the silver background, red letters, but the other one eveyone offers is clear background red letters. Did all of the 64 330 4bls come with that decal?

As always, thanks.

Randy
Old March 1st, 2011

Strong455
Restoration update

The weather has broken, time to get back to work. Update pictures

Last edited by Strong455; January 12th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old March 1st, 2011

Strong455
64 restoration, a few more

A few more update pictures

Last edited by Strong455; January 12th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old March 1st, 2011

Strong455
One More picture

Attached is picture of firewall, notice body number, 3237. Also included picture of car the day I picked it up

Last edited by Strong455; January 12th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old March 14th, 2011

409sleepr is on a distinguished road
1964 Olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong455 View Post
Coming along with the 64 restoration. I have a couple of questions and I need input. First, I have attached a picture of the restored air cleaner and want to know which tin plate you would apply, the original or the reproduction. I think the original would provide character, but the repro is, well, new. The only difference I can tell is that the 442 numbers are a little smaller than the original.
Second, I have attached two different wire wheel covers, well, really, the only difference is the logo in the center cap. Which one is the 64? I'm thinking one is 64, the other is 65.

I have also attached a pic of the original wheel covers that came with the car.

Thaks for your help.

Randy
Hi Randy I also have a 1964 olds but its an F-85, ive been working on mine for two years. I want to change out the Tranny and put in a TH2004R - Tax return $
Old March 16th, 2011

Great Progress! !

thanks for posting the pics and letting us know how it's coming. Either you have a lot of energy or you have an army of friends because you are moving along quickly.

SWEET!