oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Most Recent Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Intrigue

Oldsmobile Intrigue Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Intrigue based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Blend door actuator

Old July 17th, 2019

TruBrewMan is on a distinguished road
Blend door actuator

anyone know of any videos, instructions on replacing these. I did the driver's side maybe 8 years ago, but again have hot air on that side. I did it blind but was hoping there was an easier way.

Old July 17th, 2019

C&C is on a distinguished road
Are you sure it is the blend door; low refrigerate will manifest with warm air on the drivers side and cool on the passenger's side. Just asking.
Old July 19th, 2019

It's a possibility

I've tried recharging with the 2 hose/gauges I have but can't get it to raise higher than the low end on the gauge (according to ambient temp) or blow equally cold on both sides. I had it evac'ed and recharged at my garage last fall and it was slightly warmer on the driver side too, iirc. Being mild fall temps, I really couldn't get a good idea how well it was working. I was without AC for about ~3 summers due to small leaks in a few places being cost prohibitive and just wanted make sure my compressor still worked.
Old July 19th, 2019

01OldsIntrigueOwner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBrewMan View Post
I've tried recharging with the 2 hose/gauges I have but can't get it to raise higher than the low end on the gauge (according to ambient temp) or blow equally cold on both sides. I had it evac'ed and recharged at my garage last fall and it was slightly warmer on the driver side too, iirc. Being mild fall temps, I really couldn't get a good idea how well it was working. I was without AC for about ~3 summers due to small leaks in a few places being cost prohibitive and just wanted make sure my compressor still worked.
The blend door, according to my research, is underneath the driver's side dash. Here's a forum about where it is: https://sparkys-answers.com/2011/08/2000-oldsmobile-intrigue-drivers-vent.html

I'll be posting a video about it as well in the future when it's cooler outside.

Also, ACDelco parts are recommended and please note: 1 is for the manual controls and the other is for the dual (auto) climate system. Never use cheap piece of plastic from an auto shop as they tend to fail after a year.

Last edited by 01OldsIntrigueOwner; July 19th, 2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2019

I tried recharging with the trigger style kits and was able to get it to take refrigerant unlike with my hoses/gauges. Not quite same temp on both sides but good enough. System has several slow leaks which will cost too much to fix, so I'm happy just recharging it as needed.
Old September 9th, 2019

wolfvan88 is on a distinguished road
You might consider next time the Freon leaks out of your AC system, just get a set of seals if you know it is not parts leaking and replace them.
Refrigeration Technologies RT201B Nylog Gasket/Thread Sealant $8.63
26729 O-Ring & Gasket Air Conditioning System Seal Kit $7.21
Four Seasons 26775 Cap & Valve Air Conditioning System Seal Kit $7.87
(Back when I got the car 12 years ago the freon was leaking slowly and the HI pressure valve was leaking, then recently last few months, the control valve went south)
FJC 2490 PAG Oil - 8 fl. oz. $7.64

I was able to get to most seals (Orifice tube and a few under the Master cylinder/ABS too much to remove and probably will force brake and fuel line replacement)
I chose to replace the seals for the Accumulator (20 year old parts, cheap to replace since I had the system open.), Condenser, cap and valve and compressor seals, tried the bolt for the evaporator on the firewall, but was not turning so left it also left the HI pressure switch. I removed the compressor and removed the Compressor Control Valve and replaced the seals on the part. (read that these seals generally go and mechanics would rather sell you a 400$ compressor than simply replace a $30 part or even simply replace the seals on the valve.)

My symptom was the low pressure started going too high and would never drop below 60PSI. I ended up bleeding all the Freon out trying to drop the pressure. I read that it was the control valve in the compressor that was leaking pressure causing higher pressure level.

After I removed and replaced as many of the seals that I could reasonably get to, with my copmpressor, I blew into each end of the parts to see if trach came out or it was clogged. All blew OK and no trash.
I Then pulled a vacuum and it held for an hour. Refilled and now it is all cold.

You can Rent Gauges and vacuum (I got mine from Autozone.

Other optional parts:
UAC RD 1792C A/C Accumulator $11.38
While I have the compressor out, I cleaned it up, re-taped the wiring covering going to the compressor and also replaced a leaking front engine mount.