oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 89 Trofeo Digital Dash Issue

Old August 13th, 2019

pimaster314 is on a distinguished road
89 Trofeo Digital Dash Issue

Hi all! I am the proud owner of a 1989 Trofeo with a digital dash and the VIC (touchscreen CRT).

Unfortunately, it looks like I lost communications with the digital dash as every time I turn the key I get a big "ELECTRICAL PROBLEM" message and get no gauges or anything. I've scoured the Internet for similar issues and most of what I find is for the 1990+ analog gauges which is cool but doesn't seem applicable to me. I also have no issues with my climate controls (which also seems to be a common problem), and apart from the cluster itself everything works perfectly.

I've unplugged and cleaned up the contacts on the CPS, ECM and BCM, jiggled any loose-looking wires, but nothing seems to have helped and the service manual doesn't seem to lead me down any paths. I also can't go into service mode, I hold down the button combo and it flashes for a second then the screen closes, probably because of the issue with the cluster.

Anyone have any similar issues with the digital dashes? Oddly enough I found one video on YouTube of my exact same issue but not sure if the guy ever fixed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0BRH0RWjac

Old August 14th, 2019
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY has disabled reputation
Two things. I had that message on a 1992 Toronado. I changed the bcm and not only that, I used the climate control that when you press certain buttons it tells you the code and code history.

RANSOM ELI OLDS REINCARNATED
Old August 18th, 2019

retroren is on a distinguished road
Hi: I would strongly recommend that you swap out the Central Power Supply module. This module failed a lot causing the issues you are experiencing. I had to replace the CPS on my '88 Eldo because I had no display on my digital instrument clustel. The CPS is a known weak link so start there.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

pimaster314 is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately that's a no go on the CPS, obtained a used one and no change compared to the original so I can probably cross that off the list. I'm thinking it's unlikely they both have the same exact issue although it is possible. On the bright side, it was only $10 and I have a spare if/when mine does take a dump!

The hunt continues!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

retroren is on a distinguished road
It might not seem as unlikely that the used unit you obtained is bad as well. GM had a problem with the CPS modules back then. You might think I am crazy but I would get another cps (preferably one that is known to be good) and do the swap again. You can always re-sell it on ebay.

I make this suggestion because I've just encountered the bad effects of buying used parts. I own a '92 Toronado. They had a known cluster gauge defect. I recently purchased two spares and guess what, both were bad. Fortunately I was able to have one repaired because the archives of this forum had a 19 year old article that detailed what the problem was.

Also, search the archives for related posts as you may gain repair insight. You might also check sister car forums such as the Eldorado and Riviera.

Good luck.