oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Most Recent Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Intrigue

Notices

Oldsmobile Intrigue Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Intrigue based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Corroded Fuel Lines

Old June 17th, 2018

KC01IntrigueGLS is on a distinguished road
Corroded Fuel Lines

I'm trying to find a way to get steel replacement fuel lines for my '01 Intrigue.

As it turns out, three of them are corroding, and are causing leaks. I don't have the best sense of smell, so hadn't really noticed the fuel smell my mechanic mentioned. The problem is, I see some on Autozone that are nitrous lines, and also fuel line repair kits. It seems that repair kit is only a quick fix that's not really a long term solution. There's a Canadian company called LinestoGo that sells complete fuel line installation kits, but unfortunately for me, they are only for the Intrigues with the 3.8L V6 engines, and not my Shortstar 3.5LV6. Rockauto, Dorman, and Gates have all been a bust to find these steel replacement fuel lines, too.

My mechanic says he can fabricate the lines, and I assume he means he can weld some metal himself, but that will take a couple days. Has anyone had experience with fuel line replacement? Do you think the 3.8L V6 fuel line may possibly fit the 3.5Lv6?

970304MW03-065_Intrigue fuel lines.jpg

Last edited by KC01IntrigueGLS; June 17th, 2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: inserted photo image

Old June 17th, 2018

mikeaurora is on a distinguished road
Replacing fuel lines (or brake lines) is really not too difficult, just need a double flaring tool, a metal line cutting tool, tube bender and various connectors to reassemble a new line. Rolls of metal come in different sizes in length and width, and most are less than $30. It is just a time consuming thing, you pull what is left of the old line and use it as a guide to fabricate a new one. Just takes time, practice and patience, I've done them on all kinds of cars and trucks over the years. It's a pita getting started but like any project as you get into it, it pretty much all comes together. If your mechanic has experience doing this (I can't imagine anyone in the trade not having to have to do this a few times over the years) then it's just a matter of paying for time and materials-If you do it, it'll be a lot cheaper and it's an education.

On a 1 to 5 scale of difficulty it's probably a 2, or barely a 3 at worst.
Old June 23rd, 2018

thanks a bunch Mike!

This is so good to know that this is moderately difficult, and that the line fabrication is pretty common. In this case, looks like patience will be a virtue!
Old June 26th, 2018

wolfvan88 is on a distinguished road
Going out and looking at my 99, you might want to plan to replace both brake and fuel, since they all merge together going down the firewall to under the car. Because if any are weakened, it will probably break.

Undo lines from ABS and master cylinder and remove those parts to have better access to getting to lines to remove them.

From Other posts I have read, many will make unions at the front area where lines bend to go under car, making it easier to reinstall the new lines.

I would look at copper premade lines for the brakes. Advanced Auto prices were low for the copper pipes.
Old July 1st, 2018

thanks a bunch Wolf!

You were right about needing brake and fuel lines done simultaneously; as it turns out some of the brake lines are indeed needing replacement due to corrosion. I will look into the copper line parts too.