oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Notices

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: 1992 Trofeo information center and some gages not working.

Old April 23rd, 2018

hightonedsob is on a distinguished road
1992 Trofeo information center and some gages not working.

This is my first time with an oldsmobile as I just bought this car about two weeks ago. AC works great and most lights work but I have nothing displayed above the speedo and tach. Tachometer and fuel Guage seems to be ok along with battery voltage but I don't think anything on the left side works. Starting the car sends the speedometer to 50 mph where it stays until shut off. Any ideas on where I should look?

Old April 24th, 2018
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY has disabled reputation
Check the computer in the dash on the right hand side. It holds the BCM and ECM.

RANSOM ELI OLDS REINCARNATED
Old April 25th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY View Post
Check the computer in the dash on the right hand side. It holds the BCM and ECM.
where is it located? Will I need to remove the dash?
Old April 25th, 2018
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

It is inside the glovebox or whatever they call it now. It is straight ahead. It is screwed in place. Once you remove the door, you will see it. It takes some effort to get it out. You will not need to remove the dash. The door to the glovebox must be removed and unbolted. They still sell the computers. I saw them on Amazon and Rockauto. You will take the BCM and ECM and transfer them to the new computer following the instructions. You must be careful removing and transferring the BCM and ECM to the new computer.

Old April 28th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY View Post
It is inside the glovebox or whatever they call it now. It is straight ahead. It is screwed in place. Once you remove the door, you will see it. It takes some effort to get it out. You will not need to remove the dash. The door to the glovebox must be removed and unbolted. They still sell the computers. I saw them on Amazon and Rockauto. You will take the BCM and ECM and transfer them to the new computer following the instructions. You must be careful removing and transferring the BCM and ECM to the new computer.
Ok, I'll check into it. What about all the talk online about it being a bad cap on the dash cluster?
Old May 2nd, 2018
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Check into that as well.

Old May 28th, 2018

Replaced a couple caps, found out someone had unplugged the ribbon cable that goes to the information center and the left plug for the speedo, temp, and oil pressure was plugged in but they shifted it over and left one pin out. Now oil pressure and information center works but temp shoots all the way over to the right and speedo runs to fast. Maybe 50 mph when it's only about 15-20.