oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Oldsmobile Etcetera > Oldsmobile Appearance and Detailing

Notices

Oldsmobile Appearance and Detailing Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile appearance and detailing based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Painting and Touching up

Old June 4th, 2004

RoraStar96
Smile

Last Saturday a woman backed into my Aurora...I wont repeat the story for it is long winded and boring, however, I let her go since I have connetions to local body shops.

Anyway, I recieved my two bottles of GM diamond white paint, the base primer coat and the diamond coat that actually smells like nail polish...so I applied the base coat and it looked...well off, until it dried, I followed it up with 2 re applications every hour.

Once that was dried I painted on the diamond coat and let that dry. Now it turned out pretty good, but what is the best way to smooth it down? Wet sand? Fine gril sandpaper?

Once its nice and smooth, another thin layer of diamond should do it!

Any thoughts?

btw this is the Someone hit me thread
http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/...ic.php?t=19369

Old June 4th, 2004
Twister97

What about a polishing or buffering pad also?
Old June 4th, 2004

RoraStar96
I need to wait til it really dries
Old June 4th, 2004

Aurora40
If I were you, I'd try something like Langka/Mother's touch-up leveler. It's a solvent product that shouldn't affect the surrounding paint. You can wetsand it, but you'll end up sanding the clear that surrounds, and you can end up with a bit of a divot looking spot, plus you can remove too much clear, and you'll have sanding marks to remove (very hard by hand).

Touch-up will never look perfect, the goal is to make it hard to notice. So, I'd just go with the Mother's stuff and leave it at that. Also, when you apply it, don't use the brush. Use a toothpick or matchstick or something and put in less paint than fills the chip, let it dry, and do again to slowly bring it up to the level of surrounding paint. This way, there is much less leveling and such that is needed in the first place.

Just my two cents.

Here's a good article on it: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27
Old June 4th, 2004

RoraStar96
Werks for me 40 Thx again!

I'll take some pics of the bumper once the caps go one from about 4 or 5 feet and try and get you guys to guess. I had ppl at work try and guess today and they couldnt...so..I guess it worked out ok B)
Old June 5th, 2004

Rambo
Glad to hear that things worked out well for ya. I can't believe the wench wasn't apologetic about it though. I would've made her insurance company pay for every last penny of it if that happened to me and someone didn't even bother to apologize. Oh well, I guess that since your coworkers couldn't tell the difference then it must look good.

-Kevin
Old June 5th, 2004

RoraStar96
Try and find the touch up

I think I made it work ok

Old June 6th, 2004

Aurora40
Hmm, maybe by the driver's side headlight cutout in the bumper, on the inside edge of it, then go down to that first ridge where the bumper sticks out most, and just where that starts to curve back in?

Just a guess, but yeah it looks great. I hope you did get the money in case the touch-up doesn't work out and you do have to get the bumper repainted. That plus the lady sounds like a jerk. Maybe coughing up $350 will get her to drive a little more conscienciously.

Hey, in that picture, your hood doesn't match the bumper and fender. Was the car ever painted? Oh, and pearl paint matching is similar to metallic paint matching. You need to have the same amount of pearl or metallic in the paint you are using as is on the car. It's probably easier to match that than it is to match orange peel.
Old June 6th, 2004

RoraStar96
Good eye...close but no cigar

The scratch was 5" to the right of the license plate holder on the lower ridge of the bumper just above the black trim. The image is a bit distorted because Photobucket compresses the image during the upload process.

And yes, I was repainted. The driver side fender...have a look.

Ouch

All better (2 days later )

See the fog in the headlamps...ya, got that replaced too <_<
Old June 9th, 2004

RoraStar96
Here is a better shot of the repaint job I did..