oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Oldsmobile Etcetera > Oldsmobile Appearance and Detailing

Notices

Oldsmobile Appearance and Detailing Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile appearance and detailing based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: Shiney paint?

Old May 10th, 2004

erw38
welcome back Aurora40! Glad you came to help

thanks for the kudos there, but the swirl marks still exist. any idea how to get rid of those.... meguiar's scratch x doesn't help..........

i have succedded in making the scratches (especially on the hood) much more shiney and noticable.......any thoughts? I'll try to find that final touch you speak of.

Thanx again!

Old May 10th, 2004

erw38
Aurora40,

when I finally get the touch up paint what do you suggest I apply it with?
Old May 11th, 2004

Aurora40
Last Touch won't help with swirls or anything, I use it after washing the car to remove any possible water spots, and for a gloss touch up. Also for bird bombs and the like.

For swirls, by hand it will be hard. Scratch-X is a good product. How did you apply it? Try it on a section with a folded up terry towel. A nice clean terry towel of 100% cotton, and not some rag or discarded towel. Fold it up so it is kind of thick, put some Scratch-X on it, and apply it with some pressure. Work it in to allow the abrasives to break down. Then wipe it off and see if that helped. Another product that is good is Dual Action Cleaner/Polish, but it's a pro line product. It can be used by hand, but isn't really intended for hand use. So you'll have to really elbow-grease it. After that, if they still exist, you can try more applications. But by hand it is very hard to remove all swirls from the paint.

For touch-up, I suggest you read this for starters: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

I have used toothpicks to apply touch-up, and that worked quite well. I would suggest you just try to apply the touch-up slowly and evenly and don't bother with wetsanding it down. You can end up lowering the paint around it enough that you see a divot, and also you will need a machine to polish out the sanding marks. Or if you do try wetsanding, try it on a less noticeable one first (like not on the hood) and polish out the marks, see how well you can do and if you can remove the sanding marks.

I also recommend Meguiar's Unigrit papers. They are a bit pricy, but they are very uniform which will reduce tracers and such and make the marks a lot easier to buff out.