oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile 442

Notices

Oldsmobile 442 Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile 442 based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: F Heads - What to do

Old December 19th, 2010

72OLDS442 is on a distinguished road
F Heads - What to do

Hi I know I am new, but I found this forum searching for F-Heads. We (my husband & I 72 Olds 442, he has had since he has 14...(yea I now, but I love the car almost as much as he does...;-) I will post pics later...

But back to the F Heads... My husband has a set of orginal, stock F Heads. (and yes the casting numbers match...) We have left the car sit for a while, but now we want to put the engine back in it, and get her running! She is still wonderfully maintained other than that...... He has 2 sets of C Heads, and a set of G Heads... But he also has a set of F heads, fully stock, and yes they are true F Heads... And yes, truly stock! Nothing done to them!!! Had them for years.... just sitting here...

Since the car is a 72, and not a 70 W30, he does not want to put those heads in the motor... Are they really worth money, and are F heads really that rare...

What should we do? Keep the F Heads, put them in the car, or sell them....

Appreciate any feedback, thanks...

Beck...

Old December 21st, 2010

Rocketguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello 72442,

Welcome to the forum!

F heads are getting fairly rare and valuable now days.

There are many variables to your question:
How nice are the F heads? How nice are the C heads?

How do you prefer enjoying the car?

Are you doing a restoration? An engine rebuild or just reassembly? If rebuild, what kind?

You may want to consider.....

In my opinion F heads have more value in a nostalgic or intrinsic sense than they do in a performace sense.

If you are doing a concours type restoration, sell them to fund it (or just keep them around if you are not hard up for $$$). You would not want the wrong heads on that type of car.

If you want a bit more performance than stock, originality is not that important, and the heads are in good shape use them.

F heads are cool and have nice bragging rights, but if your C heads are in better shape use them.

If you are really looking for big performance gains a mildly ported set of C heads will give you a very nice performing engine.

If it were me, and I was not hard up for cash or building a concours type car I'd use 'em.
Old December 21st, 2010

The F heads are in really good condition... And so are the C heads...

We use to Drag Race the car, I just want to see the car running again. It has a roll bar, and the hood has been lighten for drag racing, so restoring it to totally stock is really not an option right now... Just hate seeing the car sit...

My husband is going to do some checking on what the F-Heads are worth, and perhaps sell them. Or hold on to them. I think with everything that I read about F-Heads, it's like you said, unless you are doing a total restoration, especially w/a 1970 W30, it is best to keep them in their mint condition...

Just perhaps I can talk him into selling the heads to put the $$$ back into the car. Heck he has more than one 455 block, and 2 sets of C-Heads, (and I think a set of G heads...) need to see what else we can find in that garage... (thank God we have a Garage....lol)

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. Wish I could find out how much the F heads are worth, don't want to sell to cheap... So I guess keep on researching, and heck, they ain't going to down in price... Perhaps the longer we hold onto the better...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003 (Small).jpg (46.2 KB, 5 views)
Old December 23rd, 2010

Rocketguy is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW. Is that the car in the picture?

DAMN!

I guess you have raced it.

The main problem with your F heads is that you still have them in your possession. It will solve all your problems if you sell them to me immediately

My first guess is that a very nice set of F heads in the "retail retail" sense would bring as much as $2K. I could see that that would be a tough thing to part with. I have a half dozen 455 blocks, cranks, heads, 400 blocks, heads, 425 blocks..... I do not need the $$ so I am just keeping it all as stock.

Definitely the longer you hang on to this stuff the more valuable it gets. I call it the "Archeology Factor"

In your situation I'd use the C heads and keep the Fs. I may put them on a marble shelf with a halo around them.

Old December 23rd, 2010

Yea, that's her... She's a beauty, and it's actually my husband driving... Though I have had the privledge a time or two....

She is something, lot's of torgue! Great 60 footers... When that pic was taken she was running 11:20's on motor, she's full body, about 3,800 lbs w/driver... Leaves HARD!!!

The last motor he had in her was an Alcohol Motor, was running in the 10's w/o noz... Only one prob running that hard... hard on parts.. LOL

Hubby really good w/Old's Motors, he has built them all, and they all ran long & strong... He sold the Alcohol motor about year ago, way too low, if you ask me... That's why I started looking into the F heads... Didn't want him selling them too low as well...

Hubby knows a guy who is really into restoring vehicles, and showing/selling. So I guess he going to let him know he has the heads, see if something comes of that...

I just want to put a 455 mild motor back in her, so he(we) can just drive her around... She still looks the same, just don't run the same... LOL

I mean seriously, how many wives are begging their husband to rebuild their Olds.... LOL...

Hopefully, I can start a post her after the New Year, the 72 Olds Project Rebuild... keep your fingers crossed...
Old January 31st, 2018

Klassixplus is on a distinguished road
F heads

Hi my name is Larry I would like to talk to you about buying your F heads 828 295 6362 thanks Larry