oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > General Discussion > Oldsmobile Forums Suggestion Box

Oldsmobile Forums Suggestion Box Have an idea on how to make this forum better? Tell us about it in here. If you own an Oldsmobile model that's not listed here, please let us know and we'll get it started for you. I know there are many, many Oldsmobile models not currently listed. I

Oldsmobile Forum: If you want this site to be serious....

Old November 2nd, 2005

carguybob
If you want this site to be serious....

If you really want this site to be STRONGLY seroius and let GM know that we Oldsmobile owners, fans do exist, this is what you need to do. No BS about it!

This site in order to be taken seriously must link to www.GMInsidenews.com which is the main GM website news source. Plus this site must link to EVERY Oldsmobile website in the internet and be a hub for those who do not know we are here. Plus we must do the same in return. This in turn WILL bring us more members and attention.

Another thing to note. If this site is going to be serious as a main sorce for everything Oldsmobile, the adminastration, Jeremy, Sal and others must be highly visible on the site and get more involved with the posts and topics that are created. You are the leadership and you must position youselves full-time and be visible, so people know you do care about the cause of this site and not just be a part-time members that lead some of the time.

Having a "loose" atmosphere is great but non admin members must not see it from the actual site administration, otherwise members will think your not serious when it comes to topisc or issues that structure this site for what it is intended to do. I am not saying you are not doing your job right, I'm just thinking how your job can be done better since I really have not seen a prescense from admin members since Sal took over a few months back.
Replying to member's questions, and chiming in on topics is how you show members like me that this board is serious and is in for the long haul.
You need to think of things like this as a new owner and I am shariing with you my opinion on just how to do cover the basics better with us members.

Old November 3rd, 2005
The Topless Administrator

jeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond repute
I try to respond to as many topics/threads as I can. There are threads that I have no helpful information to contribute so I just move on rather then post something that would be of no help. There is such a wide varity of different vehicles that it is almost impossible to have knowledge of the entire vehicle lineup. I am most familiar with the w-body cutlass supremes, so obviously that is where most of my posts will be. I do read every section, every day and if I can help I most certainly do.

I also think that creating a functioning link section would be a good idea.

We do appreciate your input.
Old November 3rd, 2005
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Sal Collaziano has disabled reputation
Thank you for your input.. I do need to be around more as an Administrator.. Over the past couple of weeks, I've had limited internet access because of Hurricane Wilma.. Still, I need to be around more often. Then again, the best scenario would be to have another Admin here - to take over for me. Most of my available time is going to working on the site behind the scenes. There are many server issues as well as people emailing me for things like passwords and FAQs.. I put in a good amount of time, but it's not enough on the front-end..

Good administrators are hard to find! I don't know of anyone else out there who's well-versed in vBulletin (especially the back-end) and willing to put in the time...

Get your next car or truck for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!
Old November 3rd, 2005
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Well what do ya know... Jeremy is an administrator now...

Get your next car or truck for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!
Old November 4th, 2005

carguybob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Well what do ya know... Jeremy is an administrator now...
Well it is a good start, but there is always room for more improvement.

How about that link-GMInside news.com? You need to advertise right at GM if you want to perk their interest.

That is the point here-right?

Last edited by carguybob; November 4th, 2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old November 4th, 2005

carguybob
The website lacking identity is also the main issue here, just to point it out.

Sharing yourself and co-oping with other Oldsmobile/GMwebsites will change that. Since we are now the object of GM's past and highly singular in scope, we need to look at things in a much different perspective to be successful, by trying to be more open with ourselves to other GM websites (including new startup or spin-off forums/websites) instead of just thinking of them as competition only. What goes around comes around and Vice-Versa! We (this site) are the ones that are in need of the help from the outside-not the other way around, no BS about it!
Old November 4th, 2005

jeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond reputejeremy has a reputation beyond repute
I don't really see the need to "perk GM's interest". I don't see how that would benefit the site at all. What I think the site needs is to get more regular members with technical knowledge. I know that in time that will happen, but I will try to work on making that happen sooner then later.
Old November 4th, 2005
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

I'm trying to build a site that has 30,000-40,000 members all in one spot. Not a world-wide network with 30,000-40,000 members spread sporadically through 10,000 different Oldsmobile websites. I'm not linking to every "just started" and "started 5 months ago with still only 4 posts" forum that goes live. Forget about that. And GMInsideNews already had the opportunity to do a link exchange with us but they ignored my request. In fact, they even ignored my request to link exchange with cadillacowners.com. A site bigger than their own...

Jeremy is right. We need people with technical knowledge and with time, they will find us. We don't need to be a link page.

Old November 4th, 2005

texasred is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I'm trying to build a site that has 30,000-40,000 members all in one spot. Not a world-wide network with 30,000-40,000 members spread sporadically through 10,000 different Oldsmobile websites. I'm not linking to every "just started" and "started 5 months ago with still only 4 posts" forum that goes live. Forget about that. And GMInsideNews already had the opportunity to do a link exchange with us but they ignored my request. In fact, they even ignored my request to link exchange with cadillacowners.com. A site bigger than their own...

Jeremy is right. We need people with technical knowledge and with time, they will find us. We don't need to be a link page.
Amen, brotha Sal.

If you want this to be vibrant board, you need to stay "in the now". The "now" is that GM ain't there for us and ain't gonna be there for us. Screw the "other" Olds furums, too. They ARE the competition. We ain't gonna all hold hands and burn candles and sing "We Shall Overcome" until GM brings back Olds.

My input is just keep doing what you are doing. If you are going to make changes, take it slow.

I'm not much for smileys, but how about avitars?

BTW, carguybob, I'm curious...how old are you and how long have you "been into" Olds?

C.J.
Old November 4th, 2005

Quote:
I'm not much for smileys, but how about avitars?
you should be able to add an avatar in the User CP