oldsmobile forums   oldsmobile forums

Go Back   Oldsmobile Forums > Older Requested Oldsmobile Models > Oldsmobile Toronado

Oldsmobile Toronado Forum specifically intended for Oldsmobile Toronado based discussions.

Oldsmobile Forum: No courtesy lights for my 92 Toro

Old May 15th, 2019

retroren is on a distinguished road
No courtesy lights for my 92 Toro

Hi: I have no interior lights that come on when the door is opened (day or night). I installed a new photocell and that corrected my dashboard no lights at night issue as well as the headlamp doors. I can manually turn on the two dome lights. The panel interior light control will dim and brighten the cluster but it will not turn on all interior lights as it should when slid to the "up" position. The service manual mentions a courtesy light relay but I have not been able to locate it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I already checked all the fuses in the glove box. Thanks, Ren

Old May 17th, 2019
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY has disabled reputation
Under the hood there are relays. They are on the left side in the front.

RANSOM ELI OLDS REINCARNATED
Old May 17th, 2019

N E Regency: Thanks but I am already aware of and checked that relay/fuse box. There are relays labeled: a/c Comp, Fan Control 1, Fog lamps, Horn, Fan Control 2 & Fan Control 3. The fuses are labeled: Horn, HD LP Doors, A/C Comp, Fog Lamps & Cooling Fan. I don't see anything labeled Courtesy Lights except a fuse in the Glove Box which I checked, it wasn't burned out but I changed it anyway. Maybe it's hidden under the dashboard? I removed the glove box door and don't see any relays. Any other ideas?
Old May 21st, 2019
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Sorry for my previous response. It was not detailed enough. You know they only come on in darkness right? They are controlled by the photocell sensor in the instrumentation panel. You talked about that.

I don't have any diagrams but it's in the relay center on the right side of instrument panel, in the glove box. I believe you have located that one.
I am reading through the service manual, the only place it is mentioned is page 8C-17

The service manual says the courtesy lamp relay is the the first one on the left second row.

Old May 25th, 2019

NE Regency: I located the relay center once I removed the glove box innards. I saw six relays, one row has two relays and a second has four relays. Nothing is labeled. My service manual for the 92 Toro does not reference the courtesy lamp relay at all on page 8c-17. It only speaks to the relay center assembly and how to remove and re-install it. I did find on page 8a-114-1 a reference to courtesy light relay in "micro relay center #2" however the manual does not give a location of its location. Is this the group of relays that you mentioned? I'm not skilled regarding electronics so my next step is to raid the junkyard for a bunch of this relay (they are all the exactly same 5 prong style) and swap them out and maybe get lucky.

As far as the power door locks, I did discover a door unlock button in the trunk. When depressed, both door locks move from the locked to unlocked position. This is good because now I know there is communication within the power door lock "network". I did find page 8a-201-12 a diagram that shows a power door lock relay and connector located on the lower left side of the driver's foot well. I'll have to go hunt for it.
Old May 28th, 2019
Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

You got it! It is is one of those relays in the glove box. I went out to to my car and saw how it was labeled. I also checked the owners manual too. It is in there. I have the unlock button in the trunk too. It unlocks both doors.
You are indeed on the right path! Keep us posted.